co-packer I may have found a co-packer

Well, the road ahead is a little more clear now. Much work to do.

I think they may be able to do it...but I also think they are new to co-packing though they have been making their own products for quite a few years. This may be a learning expeience for both parties.

Hey Chuk, good luck in your search for a co-packer, we think about it every now and then since we are up to making about 50 cases of salsa by hand each week, but then we refocus on our goal keeping in control of everything, looking at being able to be a co-packer for the up and coming small companies out there who can't afford outragest start up cost or high minimum case quantities in the future. New kitchen in the plans right now. Like I said, good luck and if you have any questions let us know. As you probably noticed ... my first post, enjoyed reading all the info. thought I would join in.

BigDawg said:
Hey Chuk, good luck in your search for a co-packer, we think about it every now and then since we are up to making about 50 cases of salsa by hand each week, but then we refocus on our goal keeping in control of everything, looking at being able to be a co-packer for the up and coming small companies out there who can't afford outragest start up cost or high minimum case quantities in the future. New kitchen in the plans right now. Like I said, good luck and if you have any questions let us know. As you probably noticed ... my first post, enjoyed reading all the info. thought I would join in.

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the good luck wishes! Let's keep in touch. It sounds like you have exciting plans for the future!

Good Luck Chuk

We will learn along together my friend. We also are in process, our delima (sic) is we want to supply our own favorite mash, not the cheapo mash that most copackers use. A superior mash makes a superior product. Dont fight the salt war, Captn Bones can steer you in the right mash direction.
Dont get talked into ingredient short-cuts, be there for the 1st cpl kettle runs, and learn the process from start to finish, big batch style. If you can get 5 gallons right at home, your pretty much there, but dont take a 2 blender pitcher recipe and just do the math for large batch, that was our 1st mistake.
Also, labeling, fitments, shrink bands all add to the price. Do your homework and be sure that you can actually sell at a profit. Is the demand there? Otherwise, a good 24 quart kettle in a rented kitchen will help keep cost down until you develop demand for the large batches.
:lol:

thehotpepper.com said:
Go Chuk Go!

No kidding... Tear it up!!! :oops:

After chrunching the numbers with my wife, looks like the whole co-packer thing isn't gunna make it profitable for me. That's entirely ok, I like cooking my sauce...and I have a small commercial kitchen I can rent.

Now---where'd I put that list of suppliers?

DevilDuck said:
No kidding... Tear it up!!! :oops:

After chrunching the numbers with my wife, looks like the whole co-packer thing isn't gunna make it profitable for me. That's entirely ok, I like cooking my sauce...and I have a small commercial kitchen I can rent.

Now---where'd I put that list of suppliers?

Hey DD:

My co-packer actually can do my sauce cheaper than I can out of the house. That has been the case for most sauce folks. Try re-crunching the numbers or have the co-packer break the costs down for you. If I can help, I'd be glad to.

Blue's
www.bluesbbq.net

Back