• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

I must be crazy

Last year, I had about 60 tomato plants that, in spite of several of them being worthless, provided over 750 pounds of fruit and more than enough for me to make all the juice and canned tomatoes I wanted. This year, I started out with 81, and I added another 15 this evening, plus hope to add another six-seven tomorrow. I cannot believe I am doing this, but I have room in the garden (growing fewer peppers this year - last year too many of them went to waste) so I need to fill it up.

I'm wondering if 2500 pounds of toms is realistic? Probably not, since the Stuffers may be large but being hollow will not add may pounds to the scale.

Mike

I hope I run out of ground soon. :crazy:

Added another six tomato plants - I'm up to 100 now. :rolleyes: Seventeen Mennonite Sorghum plants, 22 Alpine Strawberry plants, three Valencia Peanuts and 18 square feet of Black Seeded Simpson lettuce.

I'm off to finish (except for some onions) planting for the season: Spinach, Butternut Squash and Cabbage. And this doesn't include 168 sq. ft. of garden in a raised bed.

Mike

sounds like a huge garden!!! how do you have the room? BTW i'm just outside cincinnati you in town or on the outskirts?

Ciao Mike-

Yeah, that's a lot of tomatoes. I realized back in 2007 that the apex of what I can handle is 60 full-size indeterminates since I do so much canning and tomatoes are not the only things I grow. I've got 50 in the ground plus Munchkin's 5 dwarfs and 4 experimental indeterminates, 3 in pots with Duane's peppers, 2 Ditmarshers in a hanging basket, and 4 dwarfs on the porch. The smaller tomatoes are never huge producers like the indeterminates can be, so I don't worry about their contribution as much.

I'm down to 4 flats of seedlings that still need to get planted, mostly late-sown flowers just because I didn't get around to it with the same degree of organization that I normally have. I'm slowly getting caught up but this spring hardening off extravaganza has been more than usually challenging with the rollercoaster weather we've had.

sounds like a huge garden!!! how do you have the room? BTW i'm just outside cincinnati you in town or on the outskirts?

Hartwell - within walking distance of the Fair Grounds. It is perhaps the very center of Hamilton County!

It actually isn't huge - maybe 1,000 sq. ft. I have another 200 sq. ft. dedicated to a greenhouse and another 150 that needs rehabbed.

What part of town are you in?

Mike

Ciao Mike-

Yeah, that's a lot of tomatoes. I realized back in 2007 that the apex of what I can handle is 60 full-size indeterminates since I do so much canning and tomatoes are not the only things I grow. I've got 50 in the ground plus Munchkin's 5 dwarfs and 4 experimental indeterminates, 3 in pots with Duane's peppers, 2 Ditmarshers in a hanging basket, and 4 dwarfs on the porch. The smaller tomatoes are never huge producers like the indeterminates can be, so I don't worry about their contribution as much.

I'm down to 4 flats of seedlings that still need to get planted, mostly late-sown flowers just because I didn't get around to it with the same degree of organization that I normally have. I'm slowly getting caught up but this spring hardening off extravaganza has been more than usually challenging with the rollercoaster weather we've had.

Sorellina,

I harvested about 756 pounds last year, not including the bunch that went to fried green tomatoes for my wife. Of those, I sold/gave away maybe 100 pounds. Used the rest to make juice, whole canned toms or in day-to-day eating. But in talking with guys who run restaurants, they are looking for actual vine-ripened tomatoes, albeit at a price that they pay for gas-ripened ones. If they really want to do the Farmer's Market route, they can, though a lot of the vendors are selling organically-grown toms and charging a premium for them. Not to mention the time it takes them to visit the market, buy the toms, transport them back... etc., etc., etc. So I know I can sell to them at 50ยข per pound or more. I figure the Red Stuffers will be worth at least $1.50/lb., especially if I can get my son to cook up some kick-butt food to stuff them with (tuna salad, red beans and rice with some type of meat, cottage cheese) and serve them a sample.

Mike

Hartwell - within walking distance of the Fair Grounds. It is perhaps the very center of Hamilton County!

It actually isn't huge - maybe 1,000 sq. ft. I have another 200 sq. ft. dedicated to a greenhouse and another 150 that needs rehabbed.

What part of town are you in?

Mike

lol thats about the size of my entire backyard! I'm in mason just north of the city, right near voice of america park off 75

wow i envy your harvest. thats a lot of tomato sauce!

last january, i planted 52 tomatoes, (13 variaties X 4) at first i was excited especially after i thinned them out, then when they are about 2' tall, i started to realized that i don't have that space to plant them all, so i gave away all but kept at least a variety. all was doing well, most reached 6-7' in height and started to developed flowers too,then came the dry spell, no fruit has been set due to the intense heat, then all of them died around may during the hottest days of summer here. from that day, i swore i will never plant that number of tomatoes again. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

dsci0182k.jpg

Too bad they crapped out on you siling_labuyo.

Maybe my plans of building shade on my yard will help with my growing peppers and tomatoes.

Back