• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

I need 2 different IDs

BenVanned

Banned
547174_2365433511785_135657090_n.jpg

and

405208_2365426671614_1553221925_n.jpg

I am growing the first pic and I got the pods in the second pic from the grocery store at 36 cents a pound.

Unripe or not they look old.............probably taste bland and have immature seeds. You can still cook with them.
Why would a store sell unripe pods.....................the price is the answer .
They were probably grown outside of the U.S. and picked too young. We occasionally see bins of Mexican Habs downtown at the Fultan St Mkts. that are still green but they're labeled as Yellow Mexican Habaneros. Some of them are partially ripe but c'mon............they could have been picked over 3 weeks prior and sitting in cold storage.
I'm always looking for the unique peppers that make they're way in from the islands...

Greg

I agree with Greg.

I complained about the same thing yestersday on a thread I started in this same section.
Whenever I get pepper's here in FL they are always green and tasteless because they pick them too young.
When I'm home in the Bahamas and I see Habs, Scotch bonnets or Goats they are always ripe and full flavored with heat.
If you dont have access to a good source of ripe chile's I would definatly recomment growing them yourself.

I agree with Greg.

I complained about the same thing yestersday on a thread I started in this same section.
Whenever I get pepper's here in FL they are always green and tasteless because they pick them too young.
When I'm home in the Bahamas and I see Habs, Scotch bonnets or Goats they are always ripe and full flavored with heat.
If you dont have access to a good source of ripe chile's I would definatly recomment growing them yourself.
Your not going to the right markets, though I've scene bland peppers at our local FM before I tell when that happens!

I ate one.. it definately had a green taste... almost chemical like. I paid 36 cents a pound for them so not too bad.. I may go get some more to experiment with. It would be worth it if the seeds were viable.

I ate one.. it definately had a green taste... almost chemical like. I paid 36 cents a pound for them so not too bad.. I may go get some more to experiment with. It would be worth it if the seeds were viable.
Becareful when choosing seed stock from market bought pods. If they're a hybrid type you can end up with non desireable plants with defoemed pods or if the seeds are underdeveloped you may not end up with a "Track Star" of a plant...

I occasionally search for unique pods that I selectively choose for seeds. But as a precaution, since I need to start my seeds indoors in the winter, I do a diluted bleach soak of the seeds to eliminate and issues with BLS or thwart off any parasitic issues. Hydrogen Peroxide also works well.

Good luck with your ventures.........pickled peppers are always good!

Greg

Becareful when choosing seed stock from market bought pods. If they're a hybrid type you can end up with non desireable plants with defoemed pods or if the seeds are underdeveloped you may not end up with a "Track Star" of a plant...

I occasionally search for unique pods that I selectively choose for seeds. But as a precaution, since I need to start my seeds indoors in the winter, I do a diluted bleach soak of the seeds to eliminate and issues with BLS or thwart off any parasitic issues. Hydrogen Peroxide also works well.

Good luck with your ventures.........pickled peppers are always good!

Greg

I have considered this. Ive decided that if i should end up with any.... special.... plants then im just going to take them to my dads house or donate them.. atleast they wont be crossing with my good plants and they still have their shot at a gold medal... who knows... some may even taste good... i mean.. hey... even Bush served two terms.

Back