• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

I need help on deciding what to do.

Ok So I have 29 plants growing right now. Some Reapers,Scotch Bonnets,Bubblegum 7 pots and Moruga Scorpions. It is getting that time to put them outside. I have been putting them outside a couple hours each day. To acclimate them to the sun. I am thinking of putting them in pots. If so what size pots should I use? Also what would be the best potting mix? If I don't put them in pots what would be the best way do go about growing them? 

I try to minimize movement. Those slated for ground go from germination tank , acclimation, then to ground. Those slated for pots get a pot good for the season.

Reactions: Tex
The_Tongue said:
Ok So I have 29 plants growing right now. Some Reapers,Scotch Bonnets,Bubblegum 7 pots and Moruga Scorpions. It is getting that time to put them outside. I have been putting them outside a couple hours each day. To acclimate them to the sun. I am thinking of putting them in pots. If so what size pots should I use? Also what would be the best potting mix? If I don't put them in pots what would be the best way do go about growing them? 

Some people prefer to successively pot up from starter pellets/tiny cups, to Solo cups, to 1 gal, to 3 gal, to 5 gal or even larger. There have been some great grows displayed here in 15 and even 20 gallon containers. I typically start in very small plastic Dixie-size cups, then to Solo cups for a long while, then straight to 3, 5, or 7 gallon depending on the pepper variety.

You will hear a thousand different answers to what is the best potting mix. The most important thing is making sure the mix won't get compacted. Tiny air pockets are vital. Some people prefer Al's 5-1-1 mix whereas I have used a combination of Promix-HP and other fluffy base substrates with Perlite already included mixed with several nice composts or composted manures. From there you can add your garden/dolomitic lime, bone meal, blood meal, kelp meal, and every other part of your balanced breakfast as you prefer. This forum is a vast wealth of information, and this stickied thread on soil is a great place to start. Welcome aboard!

5 gal buckets

pso900-a1_zpsedff35bc.jpg

10913586_10203347700001816_166266751_n_zpsb07077ec.jpg

I have them in solo cups now. I started from seeds. So with this info I will probably go with 7 gallon pots or larger. That way I can move them around if needed. It will cost a lot  to do this I am thinking.

Seems like these folks have it covered. 5 gallon minimum, 10-20 gallon for better yields. If organic doesn't matter to you, I've been using Miracle Grow potting mix with no problems. For best results, use compost.

The_Tongue said:
 It will cost a lot  to do this I am thinking.

You can get a couple dozen grow bags for $30 or so. Much cheaper than buying pots. I also wouldn't burn any extra calories by graduating up to successively larger containers. Go straight from cups to the big pot. Once the roots establish themselves, they'll take off. No sense in root binding them over and over again. 

http://www.amazon.com/Gro-Pro-Grow-Bags-Gallon/dp/B00CJIC27U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1427051483&sr=8-2&keywords=5+gallon+grow+bags

I never would've thought you could use bags like that to grow in. I was looking a pots earlier. The cheap ones were about $10 a piece for a 5 gallon

The_Tongue said:
I never would've thought you could use bags like that to grow in. I was looking a pots earlier. The cheap ones were about $10 a piece for a 5 gallon
5 gallon buckets work good too, and you can find them for free if you look.

Edit: I didn't notice Rymerpt already suggested buckets.

If you use grow bags don't move hem...after about a month..they will shred up if you even look at them wrong...
I am using 1,2,3 and 5 gallon containers plus a few 18 gallon totes. My soil mix is  ffof, happy frog, ewc, coco coir, dolomite lime and gypsum.  Got around 100 plants..
The blue wal-mart bags wont even last a season...they fall apart and make a huge mess in mid summer...

Oh ...this is my first real season...so take everything I said with a grain of salt...

The_Tongue said:
I have them in solo cups now. I started from seeds. So with this info I will probably go with 7 gallon pots or larger. That way I can move them around if needed. It will cost a lot  to do this I am thinking.
Depends on what to you is a lot of $ and what sources you may have at your disposal to acquire items like 7 gal growers pots and the equivalent of 203 gals of growing media or more if you go larger than 7 gal.
It's the growing media that adds up quick especially when you start talking about specialty brands or volume component to make up your own.

This is why I chose for 90% of my grow to go to the ground this year. If I chose to go to 5 gal pots I would need an equivalent to 8.75 yds of media

CAPCOM said:
This is why I chose for 90% of my grow to go to the ground this year. If I chose to go to 5 gal pots I would need an equivalent to 8.75 yds of media

Ah, that is an awesome option to have. My apartment has a large concrete patio, but only a tiny amount of builder's sand fill dirt around the perimeter. Containers are my only option :tear: . OP, if you can put them in the ground that is probably your best bet. Otherwise you might look into hydroponics, but that can get expensive upfront as well. For reference, I have spent about $150 for 10 cubic feet or 75ish gallons of base mix, 100 lbs of various compost/manures, and garden lime. Add in maybe another $25-$35 for a few years' worth of fertilizer. As always you can get a better deal if you are willing to work harder/spend more time or if you are friends with a nursery/garden store owner. But I am lazy and have no friends! :cheers:

*edit* That $150 includes 20 black plastic pots between 1 and 7 gallons.

Check your local nursery, most sell their used nursery pots for very cheap. I think I pay $1 for 5gal and  $4 for 15gal.

The_Tongue said:

Or go with 'Wally Bags' (the blue recycled shopping bags from WalMart.)
They cost 50 cents each and hold about 6 gallons - big enough to grow a very respectable plant.  There's a thread on the subject around here somewhere that is worth reading.

suchen said:

Ah, that is an awesome option to have. My apartment has a large concrete patio, but only a tiny amount of builder's sand fill dirt around the perimeter. Containers are my only option :tear: . OP, if you can put them in the ground that is probably your best bet. Otherwise you might look into hydroponics, but that can get expensive upfront as well. For reference, I have spent about $150 for 10 cubic feet or 75ish gallons of base mix, 100 lbs of various compost/manures, and garden lime. Add in maybe another $25-$35 for a few years' worth of fertilizer. As always you can get a better deal if you are willing to work harder/spend more time or if you are friends with a nursery/garden store owner. But I am lazy and have no friends! :cheers:

*edit* That $150 includes 20 black plastic pots between 1 and 7 gallons.
Yes, it is. And I am not ignorant to that fact. I also realize I could be worse off very easily. Funny how when our situations are sometimes better than others, we still find ways of wishing our own was still, better. I still want a plantation and several green houses. Grow from seed to pod in one location. I did a huge container grow last year. It can be a lot of work.

I have a place 15 miles away that sells bulk media for $30 a cubic yard and I plan on using viagrow bags. I think the 5 gallon bags are around 35¢ each. This is the most cost effective route for me. Buying in 1 cf bags adds up fast $$$

Babysas said:
If you use grow bags don't move hem...after about a month..they will shred up if you even look at them wrong...

I use the fabric ones..... they're on their third year. I can see where the PVC ones would shred.

GB4 said:
I have a place 15 miles away that sells bulk media for $30 a cubic yard and I plan on using viagrow bags. I think the 5 gallon bags are around 35¢ each. This is the most cost effective route for me. Buying in 1 cf bags adds up fast $$$

I can see if that is compacted dirt.  Uncompacted uses much less.  I can overfill 2 5g buckets with a cubic foot.

Back