• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

I need to vent - tobacco tax

I remember saying one time that I would quit when they reached 1.50$ a pack.
And when the smokes cost that, I told myself 2.50$ a pack instead. Kept lying to myself until finally the 5$ mark.

I used to buy cig's for my mom at the corner store when in high school. $3.50 a pack. Eventually I started buying several packs and selling them in school at $1 a cig. And I'd always sell the whole pack before lunch :)

Ahhh.

Now, cigs are $9 a pack I think.

I never smoked, thankfully.

I agree with all that has been said here. When I started smoking it was about 90 cents a pack for name brand. I quite smoking about 3 years ago, but still use tobacco. Now I put a Skoal Pouch in this is a serious issue for me still, because this tax hike is going to effect both cigarettes and smokeless tobacco. We are getting close to having another Boston Tea Party. In fact we may have already surpassed their angst of the time.

This country has become a great big herd of sheep!

Pepperfreak,

Cincy had a Tea Party last week. Only one of the three TV stations that covered it didn't make it look a thug party where one was putting their safety at risk just for showing up.

A side note: no one could dump tea bags into the river because of environmental issues! I suggested the next time they use compost tea because what is happening to our rights is rotting away.

Mike

Novacastrian said:
How much do you guys pay for a pouch of tabbaco, say an once?

Here in WA State..they already have a total ban on smoking in any workplace or withing 20 feet of one....now this %$@$ tax.

Besides the nat'l increase, WA decided it wanted to choke off smoker some more with it's OWN increase on top of it.

Put it this way..a pouch of RYO is about $2.00+tx for .75 oz now, or aprrox. 15 bucks for a 6oz tin....unless ya get the pricey stuff like Drum. I usually get McClintock or Stokkebye's.

It's supposed to triple in price by April.

I can't afford $6 an ounce! WTF?!

Feck, soon weed'll be cheaper than tobacco...oh wait, they are increasing tax on tubes and papers too.

Plus, the Floor Stocks Tax Rate is gonna kill some businesses....my corner store just expanded and now has big problems because of the dual-whammy they've been thrown. This aint a nice neighborhood, it's poor ppl who need stress relief and enjoyment that isn't crack or meth. C'mon..wth?

If it's so bad, make it illegal..otherwise get off raising tazes that hurt the poor more than anyone else. Us poor folk smoke more than the avg...what other relaxment can we afford eh?

Save the children my ass..WA state is broke and they just needed to get more money in a politically feasible way. That tas money will go right into the General fund you watch...not the 23% that's supposed to.

Bugger off, damn Nanny-State Politicos.

Im paying $AU 15-16 for a 30 grm pouch Quad, thats just over an once. Equats to around $9 an once.

Here in New Mexico, the State beat the Feds by placing a 60 cent tax on smokes last month. Now the feds are placing their $1/pack tax.

I happen to smoke stuff that's manufactured on an Indian reservation and still pay $13/carton.

Absolutely ridiculous!!! This is what happens when we stand aside and let Washington take over. It's time, we as Americans, say no more! I'm tired of politics as usual, politicians looking to further their career and not doing what's in the Nations best interest.

We the people, grant Washington the power to govern us. It's time the States and the people pull back on the reins and send a loud and clear message!

www.reteaparty.com

It's pretty stupid here in Florida because they intend to use this new tax(the state one thats being considered here) as a way to fill a budget deficit. Last time i checked a nation cannot tax itself into prosperity.

I smoke Stuyvesant 20 to a pack and pay AU$10-11, or about US$7 a pack.

I understand everyone's frustration with the over taxing of the population - globally - but as ppl lose thier jobs, less income tax is raised. The wheels of govt need greasing, and unfortunately, tax increases in other areas will occur.

An ad campaign many many yrs ago in Australia for the anti-smoking lobby pointed out the fact that smoking was for the poor and the stupid (hah! makes me poor and stoopid) I think the ad ran once before being pulled.

Cigarette and alcohol taxes are an easy sell due to thier percieved 'harm' and their relatively universal taxing ability. Also, at least here, excise is I believe collected quarterly by the govt, so is steady, regular income.

A good example of waste in the system is Queensland Health. A couple of yrs ago, there was a public audit of staffing and the number of beds. There was one bureaucrat for every hospital bed in the public system! Now that, sadly, is NOT a joke.

**EDIT
Not the ad I was looking for, but funny all the same.
http://www.quit.org.au/downloads/commercials/2002/nice_2002_15a.mpg

grow it, the wife cut my Virginian down last season, but as each pod has like 100's of seeds and kept 500 or so pods.. threw some down other day

sorry for the shit pic its night, but heaps pop up, they just take Ages to get going.. Once do go berserk and cull to 1 or 2 as they produce heaps,, just got to keep cutting off the flowers and it keep growing,when big enough (7 foot) let flower and save seeds, They just keep growing, mine did till the missus cut it down

SDC10234.jpg

growing for scientific purposes as i don't smoke (__(________)~~~~~ but wouldn't know any1 really whom could pick 1 growing as it looks Exactly the same as the Weed growing all over Oz.. forget the name but it looks like a Tobacco plant lol.

the leaves end up as big as Plates and taste like a cigar actually

DickT said:
Has anyone tried to smoke a dehydrated pepper ?

I smoked a bunch of them last year but dehydrated them afterward! :onfire:

I raised tobacco for years, sometimes as much as 17 acres. Hard and dirty work, especially harvesting.

Had I saved the tobacco from one acre, I would have had enough to provide smokes for a lifetime. Consider:

A good acre of tobacco will average at least 3,000 pounds - we got as much as 4,400.
3,000 pounds of tobacco equals 48,000 ounces.
An ounce of tobacco makes 40 cigarettes.
That's 1.92 million smokes.
Two packs a day for 50 years is 720,000 cigs.

Mike

wordwiz said:
I smoked a bunch of them last year but dehydrated them afterward! :onfire:

I raised tobacco for years, sometimes as much as 17 acres. Hard and dirty work, especially harvesting.

Had I saved the tobacco from one acre, I would have had enough to provide smokes for a lifetime. Consider:

A good acre of tobacco will average at least 3,000 pounds - we got as much as 4,400.
3,000 pounds of tobacco equals 48,000 ounces.
An ounce of tobacco makes 40 cigarettes.
That's 1.92 million smokes.
Two packs a day for 50 years is 720,000 cigs.

Mike

Hey Mike, My dad told years ago that when farmers grew tobacco years ago it would ruin the soil and they would have to grow there next crop in different soil, do you know anything about that.

Hee Hee Wiz!!

I fully endorse taxation all to hell, but I also support growing it.

Cigarrettes are the most disgusting, over-processed, tobacco product possible. They are a perversion of an otherwise wonderful plant.

GROW YOUR OWN, F()CK cigarettes.

Back