• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

I picked up a generic brand Hydrofarm Smart Float, its pretty cool

I picked up a generic brand Hydrofarm Smart Float (The one I have, didn't really have a brand name, but its identical), its pretty cool

its got 55 plugs that are moist, and are made of some sort of compressed peat with something holding them together, and they are on Styrofoam float tray.
The one I picked up was like $14.99 so way better deal then then $29.99 price tag I have seen on these.

I also found my hydro store sells bags of the plugs for pretty cheap. I guess they are like a Rapid Rooter? possibly. Does anyone know if these are the same things as rapid rooters?

It really didn't come with any directions....

but you put water in and it floats and then the bottom of the plugs can wick water in. I'm going to try seed starting in them, and see how it goes...

I also found my hydro store sells bags of the plugs for pretty cheap. I guess they are like a Rapid Rooter? possibly. Does anyone know if these are the same things as rapid rooters?

The ones pictured look just like Rapid Rooters. My hydro shop also sells unlabeled gallon ziploc bags of these. The girl behind the counter told me that they buy Rapid Rooters in bulk and break them down into smaller bags for resale.

the guy at my shop told me the ones in the loose bags were made locally here in Maine, it could be true for me? they were sealed in bags with moisture in them.
I think they are the same composition at least.

it came wrapped in plastic with 55 plugs in it, no cover, it uses the standard top, so I pulled the one off my hydrofarm germination station.

I'm sure this thing will get used a lot if it works out well. And there made of peat, so eventually it will sort of break down, but from pictures I have seen, these great root masses start coming through all edges and slap them directly into hydro/ just what I want.

I think this could turn into a quick way to get seedlings fast.

I'll feel bad chucking seedlings that I don't have room for, maybe I will just keep them in a small DIY hydro, and let them be dwarf plants.

Back