I saved some seeds from a store bought Hatch Chile, what variety?

I saved some seeds from a store bought Hatch chile (it was labeled as very hot, but that must be in the realm of Hatch chiles because it was was not hot) that looked just like this:

I get that Hatch chile is a branding/trademark and that there are several varieties that can be called "Hatch" if they are grown in the Hatch Valley.

What's the best guess of what I've got here? Flavor was excellent by the way, I'd maybe say it tasted like a very thick walled mix of jalapeño, poblano, and Anaheim.

Looks like you got a great harvest of the plant-s.
Do you have a potential frost coming soon or do you enjoy those at this stage?
Looking good.

Lovepeppers said:
Looks like you got a great harvest of the plant-s.
Do you have a potential frost coming soon or do you enjoy those at this stage?
Looking good.

Haha no, that's a basket at the store. I wish I had that many! I saved seeds from one just like the one in the picture a week or two ago! I'm trying to figure out what it is.

Rymerpt said:
The pepper needs to be ripe ( red) for the seeds to be viable. Yours might work, but red is better.

The one I saved seeds from was pretty red (more red than the one in the first picture, I just don't have a picture of the actual pod I saved the seeds from)... they are nice and thick

Perhaps a Lumbre.  They are one of the hotter 'Hatch-like' varieties.

Good luck with the seeds.  You might try germinating a few to see if they are viable.  If not, get back to the store before the season ends.

Based on the size, I'd say it is a Big Jim. Looks a little too long and fat to be a Lumbre. Lumbres have thinner walls too. And as somebody pointed out, ideally you harvest seeds from red, ripe chiles. Still, it would be worth trying to germinate these, but expect lower than normal germination rates since the chile was not quite ripe.

austin87 said:
What's the best guess of what I've got here? Flavor was excellent by the way, I'd maybe say it tasted like a very thick walled mix of jalapeño, poblano, and Anaheim.

Do as Geonerd says and do a germination test to make sure the seeds are viable. If not, I can send you some Big Jim seeds that I have saved from a fully ripe pod I picked a couple of weeks ago.

Tom

Back