• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

I smell a rat

Ok, so I fight the aphids and the white flies and the cutworm.... now I've got a frigging rat snipping my seedlings off at the roots (not eating them...) or just topping the chillies!

No one told me I had to buy a cat as well when growing chillies. At this rate I will be feeding the entire insect and rodent population here in Joburg and I'll be lucky to see one chilli...

man I'm psst.

I laid rat traps and clearly its not into that bait... Does a chilli farmer never get any peace??

The indignity... a chilli eating rat!

Does a chilli farmer never get any peace??
You are learning the hard way, my friend... no, a chilli farmer does not. :(

While I've never actually dealt with rats, I have had my fun with possums. Damn things strip your plants of foliage and I have had them even eat pods. :eek:

Sorry to hear the bad news, mate. That sucks!

You sure it's rats and not moles? wow, never heard of that! I do know rats and mice like chocolate.. so you could try baiting a trp with that.

Thanks! That does sound very southern hemisphere... we Aussies and Saffas... In the north they worry about aphids and leaf cutting bees... we worry about possums, kangaroos and the odd elephant here and there...

Luckily its only a rat... time to get creative... lol

I had two deer eating my in ground Sb plants all season, just the leaves on the top tho, no pods that I know of. I think their mom got hit by a car so I didn't run them off, I had 10 plants so they really weren't harming anything. Your rat needs a bb reminder in the butt, that would fix him or her! Instead of a cat, get yourself a ball python, that would fix the issue quick!

How do I get rid of the elephant?

Just kidding! Yea... it's early morning here now... will see what the rat traps bring in when daylight breaks!

I had mice and baited the traps with cheese but they ignored it. Tried some peanut butter, barely sat down before hearing a snap and had to go empty it. This happened several times until the rodents were gone. Worth a try.

.......Rats? Someone say Rats?....mmmmmmmMmmmMMM!

Lurch2.jpg

Maize meal or ground maize? You boil it up until it becomes a solid doughy consistency. You eat it with stews and gravy..

gnslngr: lol no rats in your house for sure

Peanut butter did not bring results... nothing went for it last night. Am trying cheese... but me thinks the rats are into veg and fruit...

Perhaps a trap of sorts is in order to find out exactly what is getting at the plants.

This will make their demise so much easier to orchestrate. :hell:

Perhaps a trap of sorts is in order to find out exactly what is getting at the plants.

This will make their demise so much easier to orchestrate. :hell:
OOOOH-There's movie script in that phrase! +2 for using 'demise' and 'orchestrate'-thats a double terminant!
Really though, what is PAP?

Back