• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

I spent a year in hell...

... this morning!

It started yesterday, or very early Monday morning. My web host's server crashed which meant I could not access my web site. Not a big deal and they said they were restoring everything, that it should be business as usual Monday afternoon. They didn't and it wasn't. Same thing when I went to bed last night - no access. Usually, on a Monday evening I transfer my pdf files to the server so the printer can get them bright and early Tuesday. But she doesn't start until about 7:00 so I figured I could upload them this morning in plenty of time for her.

Wrong - the server is still down.

Plan B - I call her and get her server's ftp address so I can upload them there. She's on a Mac and they use a strange naming convention but I finally figured out how to connect. Another problem, the site keeps disconnecting and when it is connected, the transfer rate is bytes per minute. OK, usually that means my modem/router needs restarted. Tried that. No luck. Shut down computer, shut down router, waited a couple of moments, restarted everything. Nothing works - cannot connect to Internet at all.

Call Cincy Bell, who I have my Internet connection through, get stuck with some person who barely speaks English but knows she has to be super polite. We try everything, for an hour or so before she decides something is wrong and will have to send a tech to my home. Still no files sent to the printer, who is miles away.

Call the office and find out that computer is working so I burn a CD of the files and drive there. Try doing the FTP thing again, but keep getting times out. Did I mention I do not have broadband at the office - just dial-up?

Decide I will e-mail her the files, but Fuse has a 5 meg limit on e-mail messages. One page was seven megs but thankfully I redid it at a lower resolution and it was 1.5 megs. Send the files to her. Wait a few moments, call her, just to find out only one of three messages went through. Resend the other messages again, wait ten minutes, call and she got another one.

Try sending the largest message again, and again, and again. It's 3.5 megs, tiny on broadband, huge on dial-up. Notice that McAfee is scanning the outbound messages (it was installed by the factory - that is why I detest buying computers ready to run when plugged in). It thinks the pdf files are infected and refuses to send them.

Cannot find a way to turn off the scan - did I say I hate McAfee, so I go through Add/Remove programs and zap it. Resend the message. This time, it starts working. But remember, this is dial-up. Twenty-five minutes later it is finished, I call the printer to check and everything it good.

Come home, hook everything back up the way it was (after turning it all off again) turn it back on. Not only does the connection work, but the server is back to operating!

Tomorrow, I'm getting up on the other side of the bed!

Mike

Yes, tomorrow is another day and it WILL be a much better day for you. Hey, if you are going to have a bad day, might as well go for the gusto and make it a really bad day and get all the bad stuff out of the way.
'Dial-Up' .. ouch! Even my 85 year old father-in law doesn't have dial-up anymore. (Took too long for him to download the jokes his buddies were sending him).
Better days ahead!
Bill

mike,

you poor thing....I know how it feels as I have gone through such traumas .
I have learnt one thing,
"When things are out of control, let them be out of control.
Chances are they will become normal sooner than you expect.

NJA

If you are going through hell, keep on going...

I think this guy says it best!
(sometimes when you get up on the wrong side of the bed- it may be time to flip the mattress- or move the bed!)

I so very feel for you. Technology is wonderful....when it works!

All is better now - twice today I saw a penny on the road/sidewalk, laying face up. Of course, I picked them up.

The web host got their server restored (killed their ability to offer 99.99% uptime for a year!) and the tech from the phone company showed up. Seems Cincy Bell changed a bunch of things recently that basically rendered their old equipment useless. No problems now.

I have to make up for a half-day of lost work-time tomorrow, but who cares! It is suppose to be sunny and for the first time in nearly two weeks, above freezing!

But I have to be honest - this has not been "My Decade" so far!

Mike

Back