• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

I want to grow really large pepper plants next year in large containers. What are the largest pepper

I'm interested in growing some real monsters next year and starting them indoors for a few months before transplanting outside in May. I have larger plastic pots and grow bags and this year, 10 to 20 gallons, and I found that the smaller types of peppers that I had didn't like them, while the largest peppers that I had and grew really liked them. The plants I had the most success with in Wisconsin were a Thai pepper, a sweet style of smaller cowhorn pepper called a Carmen pepper and a tepin style pepper called an Amarillear. 
I am in Wisconsin so anything that grows well in this sort of zone, Zone 5b I think it is, would be preferred. I looked at manzano/rocoto, and they seem like they are hard for beginners. Would they do well in Wisconsin?
Thanks in advance! 

I broke down your post to ask some questions. In looking at your previous posts,Cheesehead's Content, I'm not sure that you have experience with starting from seed? Not an easy task to do successfully!

Cheesehead said:
I'm interested in growing some real monsters next year and starting them indoors for a few months before transplanting outside in May.

In a previous thread you posted this.>Quick Hot Peppers For Zone 5b/Lake Michigan Area Wisconsin

Cheesehead said:
I have larger plastic pots and grow bags and this year, 10 to 20 gallons, and I found that the smaller types of peppers that I had didn't like them, while the largest peppers that I had and grew really liked them.

I've grown all my plants in everything from 1 gal. through 6 gal:

9REs6GK.png

and never ran into this issue?

Cheesehead said:
I looked at manzano/rocoto, and they seem like they are hard for beginners. Would they do well in Wisconsin?

They can be troublesome to grow - even for experienced growers...

Cheesehead said:
The plants I had the most success with in Wisconsin were a Thai pepper, a sweet style of smaller cowhorn pepper called a Carmen pepper and a tepin style pepper called an Amarillear.
These sound like plants you bought at a nursery/hardware store, yes? I'm not doing this to discourage you - I'm doing it so you won't get in over your head and getting discouraged by a poor start. A  quick question, what did you grow your plants in?

If you plan on starting indoors for multiple months be prepared to give up a lot of space. And have enough light on hand. Youll need more light than you already have. If you want them to get big inside, like monstrous when they hit the outdoors you'll have to do a lot of supplementing while inside. I wouldn't want to do that. I got to much going on inside with kids and dogs.

How many plants?

@The_NorthEast_Chileman

I didn't start anything from seed last year and bought some through the mail from chileplants.com and some at the nursery. 
The peppers that didn't do well in my climate and the grow bag containers were...
A cherry type of pepper
A cubanelle type pepper called an Aconcagua
I got okay results that could have been improved upon in the grow bag with a caribe/Sante Fe type pepper called a Wenk's Yellow Hots and I may do them again. I liked the flavor and the production was alright, but the plant didn't have a size and vigor that I was looking for. That may be down to a whole host of grow errors, not trying to knock that type of plant. In the hands of somebody who knows what he or she is doing, I'm sure it could be killer!
Then I had a Carmen and a Thai pepper from the nursery and the amarillear from the mail and those 3 were the best by a large degree. 

I have never started anything from seed indoors and last year was my first time ever with peppers. The only problem I had was a bit of blossom end rot from overwatering because I didn't cover up the pots outside and it was raining like mad
all the time and they got overwatered at the end of the season and it caused some problems with the nutrients. 

Because of the climate and difficulty with germinating, I don't want to try "superhots" but I may try my hand at a habanero type heat level plant indoors and transplant it. 
I would like to start indoors this season, because everybody has to start sometimes, right?!

sirex said:
If you plan on starting indoors for multiple months be prepared to give up a lot of space. And have enough light on hand. Youll need more light than you already have. If you want them to get big inside, like monstrous when they hit the outdoors you'll have to do a lot of supplementing while inside. I wouldn't want to do that. I got to much going on inside with kids and dogs.

Can confirm. It would likely be a major pain to harden off even one or two large plants. 

Cheesehead said:
@The_NorthEast_Chileman

I didn't start anything from seed last year and bought some through the mail from chileplants.com and some at the nursery. 

I would like to start indoors this season, because everybody has to start sometimes, right?!

I did a search for you....look through the below threads to get an idea of this endeavor.

Show me yur seed starting setups!
Seed starting system using plastic water bottles
Another seed starting method
Preferred Seed Starting Method
DIY Seed starting system <$5
New Seed Starting Setup
How To Start Seeds - A Guide to Seed Starting
Seed Starting
Seed Starting Heating Mats...Good deals?...Alternatives?
Seed starting methods
Soaking seed starting mix
What is the best seed starting medium ?
Germination aides
Seed starting kits with heat mats & small grow lights

Cheesehead,

PM me your mailing address and I'll send you some seeds that might be of interest to you to try.

I'm probably a bit late here but wanted to chime in anyway.

If you're starting from seed for the first time, try not to plan too far ahead. Growing peppers from seeds is a whole different game to growing plants you've bought. There is a massive learning curve.

You will make mistakes (and if you're anything like me, it will be many, many mistakes) and you will hopefully learn from them.

If you want to grow monster plants you have to learn how to grow from seeds first. It's going to be hard to do that in one season.

You can read a lot about growing peppers but because of the nature of growing peppers and the many different variables that will impact your specific plants, learning to grow from seed at first and maybe just growing a few normal sized plants this season will teach you a lot.  With the knowledge you gain from doing that you will then be able to take it a step further.

In reference to the "many different variables" I mentioned above, here are a few (all questions are rhetorical):

Climate
  • Indoor and outdoor heat - this can impact the temperature of your house, for example.
  • The length of your growing season due to first/last frosts.
  • Risks of heavy wind, rain and other weather.
  • Max temperature or minimum temperature - if it gets too cold inside your plants could die. Outdoors, if it gets too hot, your plant may drop flowers.
Equipment
  • Grow area - you can use an entire room dedicated to this, a tent or some kind of constructed grow area, a shelf or just a bucket on the floor.
  • Lighting (This is something that needs to be researched thoroughly).
  • Equipment to manage temperature (heaters, fans).
  • Means to manage humidity - ventilation, etc.
  • Means of pest control - how would you handle an aphid infestation in all your plants? Is it possible to bring all your plants outside during mid winter to spray them with neem? What happens if your cat decides the tent you spent 4 weeks saving up for feels good on his claws and he decides to scratch it multiple times daily? - The cat part is a true story.
Medium, nutrients and watering
  • Media/medium. There are many options and all have to be learned. If you haven't grown from seed before you're learning as you go meaning if you make a mistake then every single plant will suffer because of that mistake.
  • Watering plants indoors can be a pain in the butt, a system for it needs to be developed before the seeds are even in the media/medium
  • What kind of nutrients would you use? Would you use them with every watering? Would you need to test EC and pH?
Hardening off
  • Hardening off plants isn't too much of a process. Hardening off multiple big plants on the other hand will a massive pain in the butt.

Those are just off the top of my head.

All of this comes from personal experience. I was naive (perhaps keen is a better term) in my attempts to grow from seeds and in reality I should have learned how to grow from seeds before jumping head first into the deep end and trying to grow 20 different varieties at once.

Reading some glogs, seeing pictures and watching youtube videos made it seem very easy. Maybe it is easy and I'm just a slow learner. My point is that the concept of starting peppers indoors sounds simple but it quickly becomes overwhelming when you haven't done it before.

There is a lot of information out there but at the end of the day, whatever you read, see, watch or listen to is someones own opinion based on their own experiences.

You have to develop methods that suit you, your climate, your environment and your budget.

Imo, learning to grow from seeds is a solid place to start. If you can learn how to do that over 1 season then you'll be ready to focus on growing big AF plants when the next season arrives.

☝️ great advice.

Weather can produce some monster plants with subpar production when I factor in 99 percent humidity, rain, wind etc if the Florida summer.

I'm not sure what you are looking for in terms of heat levels, etc. but I've gotten some pretty big plants from Anaheim types (like Joe E. Parker) with good production and delicious roasted on the grill.  Far and away my biggest pepper last year was a Pablano I grew from seeds from Victory Seeds.  There are a variety of strains and hybrids, so I'm not sure it would be the same purchased from other companies, but I'm trying a few others this year.  That Pablano was huge with a trunk almost an inch and a half wide last year, about 5 feet tall and about that wide.  I must of pulled 75 big pablanos off it.

Back