• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

ID question

I am on vacation and went to a "Market Day" in Stillwater OK. While there I saw a woman selling plants, some were labeled ghost peppers. The plants are 2 inches tall at most, I bought 2 of them. Will I have to wait till they fruit or can they be ID'ed before. I will post pics if anyone thinks they ca ID them.

most members could at least confirm they are a chinense variety, if they see a pic. you'll have to wait for the plant to take on more character before one could determine if it is an actual bhut.

Here is the plant
2011-06-08161644.jpg

It said Ghost Pepper (Bhut), on the label. She said they were grown by an Indian man in Ardemore OK.

They were only a $1.50 each, nothing ventured nothing gained

Also bought a variegated leafed pepper labeled a "fish pepper"

I will enjoy growing them out anyways!

But it possible and probably the cost is reasonable (even if it wasn't) you can always use the peps for something ..I would try it ..A plant or 2 would be plenty..@ any rate .JMO Dave

My thoughts exactly. Where I live, right on the Mexico/US border, the only peppers available are jalapenos and seranos.

It was nice to see some other peppers, even if they turn ot to be mis labeled.

I need to swing by Alabamajack's on the way home and hijack one of those big trinidad scorpions he posted a while back.

Just joking.

It said Ghost Pepper (Bhut), on the label. She said they were grown by an Indian man in Ardemore OK.

They were only a $1.50 each, nothing ventured nothing gained

Also bought a variegated leafed pepper labeled a "fish pepper"

I will enjoy growing them out anyways!

Might as well for that price. Either way, it should be a good pepper. People don't usually try to pass of hungarian hot wax as bhut jolokia. :D Usually at least a caribbean red or some other good chinense.

I'm in the process of figuring out if a plant that I got from the local nursery labeled bhut jolokia really is. I had plenty of bhut plants already, I just bought it out of curiosity to see if it really is. The picture on the label looked sketchy so I had to grab one to see. I really don't think it is based on the picture and look of the foliage. The first pods are forming and they look like they're going to be red habaneros but they're still really small. If so I will be taking pods from their fake plant and a real one to show them, but I'm guessing they probably won't believe me and/or won't care.

The leaves on your plants do have those jagged edges that most bhuts seem to have though.

Here is a quick update on the alleged ghost pepper I picked up on vacation in Oklahoma, showing some growth after the transfer. Also received some seeds today from a fellow member, thank you SIR!

DSCN0826.jpg

the plant has the characteristics so far with the leaf shape IMO...

and at 1.50 each...heck, I can't grow them that cheap...

Mine looks pretty similar to the one posted. I am feeling a little more confident that my 1.50 investment may pay off.

AJ, was in your area the on the way back from Oklahoma. Hot enough up there for you?

Had to move some photos, so I will repost the first picture, the second picture, and new picture.

2011-06-08161644.jpg

DSCN0826.jpg

DSCN0844.jpg

Any new thoughts on whether or not this is a ghost pepper?

It's a too small of a picture, but it looks like a Largemouth Bass to me. good fishing and good eating.

...as for the plants. :lol: they sure look C. chinnese, but you can't really say if it's a Bhut Jolokia or not. it might be.

Back