• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Ideal color temperature for peppers

Bou,

I would try to find LEDs that most closely match the spectrum of natural sunlight.

This almost certainlly means combining several LED 'color temperatures'.

alkhall said:
Bou,

I would try to find LEDs that most closely match the spectrum of natural sunlight.

This almost certainlly means combining several LED 'color temperatures'.

That's what I was thinking too but I still need to find the best spectrum for peppers first! A lot of studies are available for tomatoes and since they are close relatives, it's possibly about the same. Also, according to what I found on the HLG blog (probably depending on the specific spectrums used by a manufacturer for a particular LED serie), mixing a 3000K with a 5000K produce almost the same results as using a 4000K. I'll have to keep on digging I guess!!

Attachments

• Mix.JPG
    Mix.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 102
I learned a lot of very useful information from watching videos with Dr. Bruce Bugbee of Apogee Instruments Inc. via Youtube. There are several videos, sorry you'll have to watch a few, but I believe he gives the basics for understanding Lighting and how it pertains to plant growth. There's a lot of info but if I understood him correctly the color temperature can affect plant shape. If you want to maximize plant growth there are 9 parameters to control only one of which is light!

Reactions: Bou
Thanks for sharing the info cneal!

I have a 3000k HLG100 and it kicks my Naga, Jalapeno, and lemon drop into flowering like crazy at the beginning of winter and now again another flush of flowers. However the Naga drops them probably because I don't have enough control over the other 8 parameters. 

Attachments

• IMG_20191213_120849327_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20191213_120849327_HDR.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 102
  • jalapeno.jpg
    jalapeno.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_20200415_124735638.jpg
    IMG_20200415_124735638.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 108
With the drama and long responses I kinda skimmed through this one, are you trying to produce peppers indoors, or just get your plants ready to go in the dirt. I have a few different lights, and for starting plants 6500k works amazing. You might want to go lower and run those 3-4000 k hlg boards or something for a total indoor growing. I think the purple lights are a gimmick personally if you are looking into those, but that being said, they do work too. Your not gonna beat a 1000 watt Hps for indoor flowering, and the indoor weed growing research is decades ahead of peppers, so its gonna probably be the best info you find on lighting

Walchit said:
With the drama and long responses I kinda skimmed through this one, are you trying to produce peppers indoors, or just get your plants ready to go in the dirt. I have a few different lights, and for starting plants 6500k works amazing. You might want to go lower and run those 3-4000 k hlg boards or something for a total indoor growing. I think the purple lights are a gimmick personally if you are looking into those, but that being said, they do work too. Your not gonna beat a 1000 watt Hps for indoor flowering, and the indoor weed growing research is decades ahead of peppers, so its gonna probably be the best info you find on lighting

The main goal is to grow seedlings but I also want to be able to grow some plants from sseds to pods during winter. Already have 3750k and 6500K and they are ok but I am looking to build something that would be more adapted to peppers needs (internet is submerged with weed related articles!), with good light penetration and also more energy efficient. Thanks for stopping by Walchit!

Reading the study CaneDog posted it sure seems you want some red and blue light together with your white light. But I cant find in the study what ratio, for white vs (blue +red), they used. I would like to know.

Edit: My entusiasm was lost when I understod the lights was never runned together. And the white and red-blue had the same mol/m.

sunvald said:
Reading the study CaneDog posted it sure seems you want some red and blue light together with your white light. But I cant find in the study what ratio, for white vs (blue +red), they used. I would like to know.

Edit: My entusiasm was lost when I understod the lights was never runned together. And the white and red-blue had the same mol/m.

I'm curretly trying to gatther all studies related to pepper and light that I can find on Google, so I can do a kind of litterature review later on. Once done (don't know when!) I will update this post with the more relevant results.

Back