• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Identification of this pepper

hi there

i have this plant which i got from a super market.

it this a chilli/ pepper plant ?
it seeds and flower looks like from pepper plant.
p1030323s.jpg

p1030324s.jpg

looks like some sort of red cherry pepper....there are many varieties of the cherry...heat varies between varieties but they all make great stuffers...

looks like some sort of red cherry pepper....there are many varieties of the cherry...heat varies between varieties but they all make great stuffers...
thanks for the info AJ :)

does the unripe fruits started cream or white colored?

it can be a Solanum pseudocapsicum but i'm not sure though.
hmmm after i read about solanum... its quite scary to have a poisonous fruit at home. i mean should i take my chances ?? or just remove the plant ??
now i don't have any confidence in tasting the fruit!

Solanum_pseudocapsicum1.jpg

Solanum_pseudocapsicum.jpg

Going by your pics and the 2 pics above from Wikipedia, I say don't eat it until you've tried it out on your neighbour's cat ;)

i think i will remove this plant from my collection for the time being. ( clear two pots! :) hehe more for my new season )

should i save the seeds ??

Dude the leaves on your plant and the wiki poison picture are sort of different. My immediate first impression was a tomato. They probably wouldn't sell nasties at the supermarket knowingly, although you never can be too sure.

I agree you should find a small neighbourhood animal or annoying wife if you have one around to test it on. It would be a real crime to destroy a perfectly good pepper, or even tomato plant.

Dude the leaves on your plant and the wiki poison picture are sort of different. My immediate first impression was a tomato. They probably wouldn't sell nasties at the supermarket knowingly, although you never can be too sure.

I agree you should find a small neighbourhood animal or annoying wife if you have one around to test it on. It would be a real crime to destroy a perfectly good pepper, or even tomato plant.

well the shape of the leave is similar with the second wikipedia photo. well it was only around for a very short while only!!

well i did not destroy the plant yet.. but i am experimenting ferts with it now.. hehe

It looks very similar to Solanum plants sold in UK supermarkets (especially Morrisons who also sell the odd chilli plant).

My instinct says it is neither Tom or Pep.

Have you looked at a fruit in section? That might clear it up.

I would definitely rule out tomato or pepper of any kind. Probably some kind of Solanum.

It looks very similar to Solanum plants sold in UK supermarkets (especially Morrisons who also sell the odd chilli plant).

My instinct says it is neither Tom or Pep.

Have you looked at a fruit in section? That might clear it up.
i just confirm its a solanum plants as these plants are sold as decorative plants during Chinese new year. according to an article . nice and pretty fruits but poisonous!! keep away from children..
i got a 2 1/2 year old daughter. i don't think i want to risk it..
BTW. she likes hot
The Flower is the same as my plant at home..

solanumpseudocapsicum3.jpg

Back