• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Identification thread - Random supermarket chilli

So I was looking at the veggie section this afternoon, looking for anything new that came in, and I noticed these two new additions.
Chilli001.jpg

The description that I got at the store was useless, "chilli ball red", and "chilli sweet yellow". Could the small one be a rocoto? No idea about the other one, has no detectable heat so far. The small one is super hot though, I deseeded it, washed my hands, then touched my forehead. My forehead is now hotter than hawaii. It hurts a lot.:mouthonfire:

The big one might be what in Turkey is called a Aci Biber Sivri, a pointed paprika. Should be mild and sweet. The other one looks like a rocoto. Should be hot, about 8-9/10.

Well the big one looks like a type of sweet Banana, while the other one looks like one of them weird Annuums you hear about growing in Bent's back yard. :lol: Cherry perhaps? I highly doubt the fact it's a Rocoto. what color are seeds?

I am thinking sweet bananna or some kind of hungarian wax for the big one and am leaning towards a cherry type for the second...

how thick fleshed were the two?

Bright white seeds. Cherry something it is. Stupidly hot, eyes water just cutting it open. Im giving it a 9, with a birdseye being a 5-6 on my scale. Cant wait for the red savina to ripen!

The big one is an asian variety simply called 'sweet chilli' in most places - also known as 'bull horn'. Its great lightly grilled or fried, comes out very sweet & tasty....perfect on skewers, in {thai}curries or stirfry.

The other one Im not so sure...I do know sometimes they're hot & sometimes they're almost heatless. I have one here but only because the bugs go for it instead of my superhots.

If the seeds of the little one aren't black then it's probably a cherry, while the other does look like hungarian wax, it has no heat so I still say sweet banana.

bentalphanerd said:
The big one is an asian variety simply called 'sweet chilli' in most places - also known as 'bull horn'. Its great lightly grilled or fried, comes out very sweet & tasty....perfect on skewers, in {thai}curries or stirfry.

The other one Im not so sure...I do know sometimes they're hot & sometimes they're almost heatless. I have one here but only because the bugs go for it instead of my superhots.

I used the sweet chilli in these kebabs http://viykor.com/images/kebabs.jpg they are also good chopped up finely and put on a sausage in a piece of bread. Have to agree on the cherry variety my experience has found them to be heatless. This hasn't stopped me growing some though.

a wax type and the red ball is a cherry bomb i'll bet it was ram packed with seeds.
Even with out seeing the seeds it ain't a rocoto as the stem and the way it meets the fruit is completely different

Back