• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Identify the pepper game

I went to Fresh Market (Grocer in northern Illinois) I went to get some habaneros and I found these in their spot. I knew they weren't habs so I took a red one and snapped it open. It didn't have the habanero smell. I ate it and it was sweet followed by an earthy tartness and finished with an oily naga flavor. I was stoked. The heat level on that specific pepper wasn't that high up there prob. a little less than a habanero. I bought a half pound, some where deep red and some where ripening to orange. I was too curious and took one out of the bag on the way home and ate one of the orange ones...it was a beast, size wise. Cracked it open and it had more closely the habanero smell. I ate it, man it was hot and had the characteristic throat burn goin' on. (First pepper other than a superhot to make me hiccup in a while) Got home and my stomach is rocked....lol.) So I assume these peppers have been OP'd. What do you guys think they are a cross with. Habanero and X.

IMG_0416.jpg

IMG_0417.jpg

IMG_0420.jpg

IMG_0421.jpg

Nice score! I don't think I've ever seen anything hotter than a serrano
in the local grocery store we frequent.

I'm surprised no one is jumping in and giving their opinion as to what they are crossed with. I'm thinking Nagas but I'm fairly new to the pepper world so I will wait and see what everyone thinks. They have the naga pointy tip, they are about the size of nagas. The taste of the red ones is familiar to naga. IDK. lol but they taste damn good. I wasn't ready for it when I ate a huge one raw. My stomach was rocked for like an hour and finally I ate some bread butter and ham patty. that did the trick instantly. Felt SO much better. I think I just might save the seeds. I only got a half pound because I didn't want to get greedy and take more than I can use. But I just might have to go back and buy all of what they have. (2 lbs from what I saw) Maybe I will auction them off on here...lol

Something VERY similar happened to me a few months ago at the local supermarket...I'll guess congo trinidads or caribbean reds...

The congo trinidads sound like a possibility. The others have different characteristics. I think this is multiple cross pollination.

They look a lot like a red version of habalokia. If you do a google image search for habalokia and look at Chris' habalokia pictures (They're yellow), they have a real similar range of pod shapes. Cool find!

habalokia sounds about right as well. I'll have to eat a few more and see what I can tell form the taste/heat level

I google image searched Scotch Bonnets and came to the conclusion that these must be bonnets. Only thing I haven't figured out is why some are ripe to orange and some are ripe to red and these the two have different shapes, smells, and flavor. I'd have to go with this is a mix of bonnets and something else? Idk, but it is an awesome find. I'm going to have to go back and snag some more

They don't really look very bonnet like to me
They are likely hybrids bred for production, disease resistance etc. I doubt they are simply unintentional crosses, or intentionally crossed with a naga or any super-hot. Many grocery store chiles(in N. America) are bred to be milder

Back