• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

If you can't take the heat, get out of my kitchen! (my own review thread) New Reviews Up!

Okay guys, this is going to be an on-going thread as I get my hands on various different pods. Now, I'm going to be going with a completely different format than others do. Why? Because between 2 jobs I can't take the risk of having fire belly for a full day (exactly what happened with the Butch T TS), something that never happens to me if I cook with a full pod in comparison to eating the pod straight. Also, this will give a slightly different take than what everyone is use to: how the peppers taste and how their heat infuses into the food. I will always give the grower credit for their pod, so people will know the exact source (in case there's ever any question, or someone swears theirs are hotter or taste different, yadda yadda yadda).

Presently, the test will be 1 full pod (diced and de-seeded) in a single pack of oriental Ramen. The FULL steps (so it's a repeatable process) is add 1 1/2 cups water, the season mix, 1 clove garlic, and 1 pod and bring it to a boil. From there, noodles get thrown in and I boil it down until there's only 1/4th of a cup of water. Why go this route? Simple.

1.) Ramen costs next to nothing. If I DO manage to come across something that's just too hot to consume, I won't feel like an idiot over wasting a $10 steak.
2.) This is a completely controlled process, there are NO out-side factors to change the out-come, the only variable is which pepper is put in.
3.) The noodles seem to absorb the cap. in my stomach pretty well, never had a problem with ring sting or fire belly this way.
4.) Cooking the water down that far ends up concentrating the cap. in the remaining fluid, as well as all over the noodles.
5.) I'll NEVER find myself too full to finish the bowl, if I can't eat it (or I slow down drastically), it's because of the heat; the exact situation I'm going for.

Anyway, now that that's all out of the way, lets begin.

Butch T Trinidad Scorpion from Butch T.

If ever there was a name that has brought fear and respect at the same time into the hearts of the chileheads, it's Butch T. After all, the guy has a world record pepper literally named after him. That said, people generally claim that these bad boys are bitter as can be (some even puking due to it), causing some people to grow an almost hatred for the pods. When used for cooking, however, that bitterness is practically removed, giving the pepper quite a different taste.

Anyway, about halfway through the boiling of the noodles I decided to taste the broth. Just a drop of it at this point was enough to give my tongue quite the burning sensation. At this point I knew I was in trouble, while my woman sat at the kitchen table laughing at me. From there I tasted one of the noodles, and that noodle was by far the hottest ramen noodle I've ever eaten, my face turned a bit red just from that. When it finally finished cooking, I threw it in a bowl and sat down, my woman wide eyed in anticipation to see the after-math of how this was going to end.

It only took 3 bites before my lips, tongue, and throat were on FIRE. The taste almost seemed slightly habanero like for a split second before my taste buds shut down and my entire mouth went numb other than the burning sensation. By bite 5? I was sounding like a drunken high school kid on Xanax trying to tell his friends about how he got the beer. About half-way through the bowl, my nose was running like crazy, sweating up a storm, but still holding strong. Full mouth burn due to the nature of how ramen noodles are (the water aspect). By 3/4ths of the way through the bowl I was slowing down like crazy; the heat wasn't dying down in the slightest during small breaks. It literally took me over 15 minutes to finish this bowl (I grew up in a family of 6 where you have to eat military style if you wanted a decent portion or it was gone, 15 minutes for me with ramen is a LONG time!). Hottest thing I've EVER eaten.

I didn't bother clocking how long it took for the heat to finally go away, but I know my mouth was STILL on fire 15 minutes after I ate it. The lip burn actually came back a few times over the course of the next hour. These are HOT peppers!

Heat level: 10 (from here on in, these peppers will be my baseline for a 10; if something is hotter, it'll become the new baseline)

Next up will be the Barrackpore from Romy6. Expect that one to be posted tomorrow. Also, considering I do cook daily meals with super-hots, if people want I can post up some of the cooking ideas I end up with for each individual pepper (although, these will NOT be counted in the review, I want everything to be as controlled and repeatable as humanly possible so that each pod gets a fair review).

Great review . :dance: Can't wait to here the next review ;)

I do think you should throw a few pics of the pods cut in half before dropping in the ramen. Just my humble opinion:)

We like pics :fireball:

This thread has potential :D

Can you describe the flavor as well as the heat? I put an orange jab in some Ramen a few weeks ago and it was oughful. The citrus hab flavor didn't go with the chicken ramen at all. I only ate 1/2 of the bowl. Heat wasn't a problem. It was the taste.

$10 steak? Ew.

lol

Good review though - a very entertaining read, thanks! I enjoyed your writing style/humor.
:cheers:

Just a suggestion, but you may want to skip a day between reviews.

For one there is the cumulative effect of tolerance building, but more on point for this topic is that it may take longer for your taste buds/sensors to recover from the abuses you're subjecting them to with these.

So it could help to skip a day (or 2) to let your senses recover fully before searing them again with a flame-thrower experience.

$10 steak? Ew.

lol

Good review though - a very entertaining read, thanks! I enjoyed your writing style/humor.

Just a suggestion, but you may want to skip a day between reviews.

For one there is the cumulative effect of tolerance building, but more on point for this topic is that it may take longer for your taste buds/sensors to recover from the abuses you're subjecting them to with these.

So it could help to skip a day (or 2) to let your senses recover fully before searing them again with a flame-thrower experience.

My brother is a meat cutter, I get porterhouses even for $10 a less. :party:

As for letting my tolerance come down a bit, that's going to take awhile, I eat a LOT of spicy foods. I guess trying to keep things down to 3 a week (every other day) may not be a bad option though. Perhaps I'll wait on the Barrackpore until tomorrow then.

p.s. your hot sauces are mighty tasty, there was a little fish place about a mile from my old house that had your habanero sauce on every table. The staff use to look at me like I was crazy when they saw me using it. Atleast I'm assuming it was your sauce, the brand name was Lucky Dog.

Great review . :dance: Can't wait to here the next review ;)

I do think you should throw a few pics of the pods cut in half before dropping in the ramen. Just my humble opinion:)

We like pics :fireball:

Probably a very good idea, gotta get a new charger for my current one (cell phone pictures just don't show to oil properly inside of the pods).

This thread has potential :D

Can you describe the flavor as well as the heat? I put an orange jab in some Ramen a few weeks ago and it was oughful. The citrus hab flavor didn't go with the chicken ramen at all. I only ate 1/2 of the bowl. Heat wasn't a problem. It was the taste.

If the pod gives off a distinct flavor (or doesn't radiate the flavor that they're known for) I'll talk about it. The Butch T set my mouth ablaze before I could actually tell you what it tasted like (tho I didn't detect the bitterness people instantly mention when talking about these pods. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Uh, no - not my sauce I don't think. I've Only Been in business for a few months & i don't know any restaurant that's buying it other than Phat Matt's in Oakland and Bon Appetit catering in Pleasanton (at the Oracle cafeteria).

I'm a little bit curious about that though since my brand is trademarked and all.

Hmmm.....

I'll see what I can find out. This was a couple years ago (2009-2010), and it was definitely called Lucky Dog hot sauce, it was named after the guy's dog Lucky. The shop was closed in 2011. I just assumed it was yours when I saw you posting on here.

nope! though mine is also named after my dog Lucky.

great minds think alike? haha
:rofl:

Not a big deal - I'm not out to get letigious with anyone - just more curiousity as I'd searched far and wide (and actually paid Thompson trademark search) for a sauce with that name already during the trademark process and found nothing. We also checked "in use" stuff, and found no existing commercial products.

The challenge with trademarking is that if there's a product in use, who advertizes in the market in which you intend to sell, it doesn't matter if they have a trademark, as they have a sort of "good faith" right to the name....meaning they could contest my application and then trademark it themselves provided they were already in business with that name. So we had to search both trademarks, and commercial products. I'm no lawyer so I don't know all the ins and outs of it, but that's the summary.

Probably someone's micro-business. Like I said - I was more curious than anything. no worries. :cheers:

I'm sure it probably is a local business. Either way, the sauce was tasty. If I ever see a bottle again I'll get you a picture at least--it was just in a standard white condiment bottle with a sizable black label on it with a picture of the dog in a small circle frame.

How can it be a real test with any objectivity if you deseed the chile?

Along with deseeding you are also removing placenta along with capsaicin.

I'm not cutting the placenta out, I'm removing the seeds after dicing. Not too difficult to do when you're dicing down the peppers for prepping to cook with, they practically fall off the rest of the pod at that point anyway.

Also, when doing the same with EVERY pepper tested, the test keeps its objectivity as no pepper is given a special treatment. Each one is prepped the same way, in the same food, with the same measurements. The ONLY variable is the pod used, everything else remains the same. That's as objective as you can possibly get without breaking out the lab equipment.

Well, since I've been slacking like crazy (at least from this thread, NOT from my jobs), I figured it was about time for the write up on the Barrackpore.

7-Pot Barrackpore from Romy6.

When Romy made the offer to send me some pods, he made one thing very clear: "Beware the red peppers, two brain strains and one nasty barrackpore". With the reputation the Brain's have on this forum, obviously my original choice for the next review was going to be the brain--but Romy informed me that he was almost positive that the Barrackpore was even hotter than those. Normally, I heed warnings from fellow chileheads highly, especially growers, but after my run-in with the Butch T prior to it I thought I could take on the world. Funny how the human brain will trick us into doing the stupidest of things the second we get ourselves the tiniest bit of a confidence booster, no?

Anyway, upon first glance the first thing I notice is the size of this thing--it made a majority of the Butch T's look like white habs, it was MASSIVE for a super-hot. Of course, my brain was telling me "dude, you just ate a world record holder. How bad could it possibly be?". Well, my inner-voice is now standing in the unemployment line, as he has led me wrong one too many times to keep his job. Upon cutting into it, three things happened:

1.) The most pungent bitter fragrance I think I've ever experienced was unleashed upon my kitchen.
2.) I actually choked a bit just from the release of heat into the air cutting into the pepper.
3.) My woman asked me to make sure I have written her into my will before proceeding (mind you, I'm only 29).

Anyway, I managed to get the pepper prepped and thrown into the ramen, as I did with the Butch T. Now, people say the Butch T's are infamous for their overly bitter taste--well, they CLEARLY have never tried the Barrackpore. I've eaten a lot of peppers using this method, but this is the first pepper to be so bitter that it literally overpowered everything else in the broth--even the Douglah didn't manage that feat. That alone made me heavily consider re-thinking the consumption of what was in front of me. Oddly enough, the heat on that first taste wasn't as bad as I expected--but alas, that was just the pepper's devious trick to lull me into a false sense of security before deciding to brutally rob me for my lunch money and my dignity.

By the time I got through half the bowl (which was taking a bit of time, mainly due to the bitterness of the pepper), it began to occur to me... This pepper is BRUTALLY hot, it's just a slow builder! It finally decided to hit me at this point, instantly making my face turn almost as red as the pepper itself, sweat rolling off my head in a similar matter to the old Crocodile Mile water slides of the 80's/90's, and my tongue calling the union to complain about an unsafe work environment. I pushed myself to continue, eating little bit by little bit, but the pepper kept on getting fiercer and fiercer. Finally, I forced myself to ignore the bitterness and to just devour the bowl, which didn't end too well for my face, as a bit of the broth splashed from one of the noodles directly into my eye. Hot is an understatement here folks, these things are insane. I HAD to take a drink after finishing the bowl; to put that into perspective, I just finished a bowl with a Yellow 7 pot and I don't even feel the need to get a drink. It literally makes the yellow 7 pot seem mild in comparison!

Now, this made me come to realize one thing. Size means just as much as potency with a pepper. A 1 million Scoville unit pepper that's 3 times the size of a 2 million scoville unit pepper may in-fact be hotter if you eat both of them in their entirety. The reason I say this is simple, eating a sliver of each of the peppers, the butch t was definitely hotter. Using a full pepper in a bowl of soup though, I have to give the win to the Barrackpore. Perhaps I should consider weighing peppers before use in this matter, so we can use that as a guideline as well? Just something that occurred to me. I have another Barrackpore sent from a different source, perhaps I'll put that theory to the test later? Start seeing who is the hottest gram vs gram.

Regardless... I have to say it, there's no way I can NOT give this pepper a 10 on the heat index. The bowl was painful by the end of it, and this is a pepper that literally makes its presence known the second you cut into it. Out-right brutal pods. Bite vs bite the scorpion was the hotter pepper, but pepper vs pepper the Barrackpore won. Kind of weird how that works, ain't it? Thanks Romy6 for the pod. Next review will be the brain you sent me!

(Please note, I actually ate the Barrackpore two weeks prior, had everything typed up (I type it up in office as the process goes on), I just never had time to post it and then forgot about it due to working crazy hours, so that review will NOT conflict with this one)

A zombie's worst nightmare... The Red Brainstrain from Romy6.

As you can see in my previous post, my care package from Romy6 contained a few peppers that I was told to beware of--a single Red Barrackpore that resembled a monster from a sci-fi film, and 2 tiny red brains. Well, we know the out-come of the Barrackpore, so how about how these red brains hold up--especially since they have to follow-up a performance like that!

One of the first things I would like to take note of is the size difference here. The red brain used today is probably 1/4th the size of the other red combatant found in the bubbled envelope. Reading yesterday's post you will take note that I have a theory that size means a lot when it comes to a pods overall heat level when consumed compared to tested in a lab.

As I began dicing this pepper I feared the worst, primarily due to the reputation these pods have on this forum. I was shocked however, as there was no potent fragrance released upon cutting into the pepper. I began wondering if perhaps maybe this one was over-hyped as I dropped the finely diced pepper into the broth. A few minutes later, however, the fumes released from that action began to make breathing slightly difficult in the vicinity of the pot, making me think that perhaps I spoke too soon.

As the time came to place the contents of the pot into a bowl and begin my journey into the depth of the flaming mouth, I noticed the slight hint of an almost floral tone to the air. My first bite provided enough proof of the cause of the smell to satisfy the jury--this is a very tasty pepper. As I ate through the bowl (at record speeds for this test, surprisingly), I found myself both shocked and disappointed. While it was hot, it was not an "OMG I'M GOING TO DIE!" heat level. I didn't even begin to sweat til towards the end of the bowl, and at no point in the process was my mouth burning so badly that I couldn't continue.

The end of the bowl is where the heat finally settled in. Nose running; face beginning to turn red; lips, tongue, and throat burning. Not as badly as the Barrackpore or the Butch T caused, but it definitely begin to make sure I knew what I had just eaten. Still, it was manageable enough for me to let the heat sub-side on its own rather than needing a drink, something that the last two considers forced me to do. Another note is that this pepper didn't cause the mouth to go numb that the last two contestants caused.

So far, out of the three peppers tested, this was the mildest. At the same time, I think I liked the taste of this one the most.

I'm giving the brain a 8 out of 10. I'd like to revisit this pepper if I can get my hands on a larger sample though, as the one used for testing today was only about as big around as a quarter. I'm really beginning to think I should do both a full pod test and a second test on a gram vs gram basis, considering everyone says these are one of the hottest pods out there while in my testing it fell on its face against the Barrackpore and the Butch T.

Thanks Romy6 for the Pod, even if it didn't go toe to toe with the last two competitors, I still actually REALLY enjoyed that pepper. Tasted great, was a good heat level without being over-bearing, and was all around just a really nice pepper. I'm hoping to manage to find a bigger sample to revisit this pod in the future.

Next up, the 7-pot Primo!

Side note, if a pepper can't even register a 6 on my list, I'll forego writing a review. It just won't be too much fun to read about a pepper when it's just a simple "well, a few beads of sweat dropped and I was done", and honestly below a 7 won't even cause that.

7-Pot Primo from MuskyMojo

I don't even know where to begin with this pod; I know they say looks aren't everything, but sweet jesus this is a scary looking pod. If I didn't know any better, I would think this pod was dug out of an ancient tomb and was capable of placing curses upon anyone unfortunate enough to touch it. I may have to order a box to use as halloween decorations to scare the kids away. That said, looks are NOT deceiving with this pepper--merely cutting into it you can smell the capsicum rush out of its organic tomb to wreak havoc upon those unfortunate enough to come into contact with its deathly spirit.

Cooking with this pod was quite the adventure..."Why", you may be asking yourself as you continue reading. Simple, this pod definitely shows it was developed by a master of it's craft, as once diced and placed into the boiling broth it made everyone in my cozy spacious condo have to evacuate the main floor within 5 minutes. THREE minutes into the process everyone was coughing and having breathing problems! That's just from ONE pod! This actually brought me to the point that I almost decided that I may have gone off the deep end to attempt this. My woman, laughing hysterically at me, began writing out an eulogy in case I didn't survive this one.

After the noodles were done cooking (I had to hold my breath to run down-stairs and check on it), I poured it into a bowl. The fumes from the bowl were STILL extremely over-powering, making this one difficult to eat. As a side note, my woman made me eat this one in the basement, because she wanted to be able to watch the main TV in the living room.

Upon first bite, I was actually kind of surprised. The flavor is awesome, almost fruit like and the heat didn't just instantly slap me like the Butch T did. It was a slower building heat, something I'm finding seems to be the case with most of the 7-pots I've tried. That heat kept building and building as I ate, but by about half-way through the bowl I had definitely began slowing down as my mouth and everything connected to it were on FIRE! I slowly persevered through the bowl, although my lips had gone numb, my throat felt like a coal burning engine, and my tongue was calling it's lawyer to file grievances against me. At the end of the bowl, I felt a sensation I had never felt from any of my prior tests... MY TEETH WERE ON FIRE! I've had a lot of peppers now, but I've NEVER had that happen. This is one HOT pepper, but it's excellent for cooking as long as you don't go stupid like I do. DON'T use a full pod for something as small as a package of ramen.

I heavily recommend this pepper! Will be buying some VERY soon.

Overall I can't help but give this pepper a 10. The heat subsided a bit quicker than the Butch T or the Barrackpore, but the heat plateau DEFINITELY matched those two. Flavor wise this thing was better than those two though, no doubt about that.

Up next will be the Chocolate Bhut.

Very intresting reviews there buddy !

Thanks. I just feel that - for the most part - all the video reviews are basically just the same thing over and over: a person suffering and attempting to tell you where it hurts and what it tastes like. I figured written reviews would add something different, and using for cooking rather than just eating raw (which lets face it, it's what we use our prized peppers for) would be a bit more insightful as it will let people know how it fares when used for this purpose.

That's not to say I don't enjoy watching video reviews (believe me, I do), I just figured it'd be nice to add something different to the picture.

Side note, my Chocolate Bhuts haven't arrived yet, so that review has been delayed by at least a day. Was hoping to eat that as my late night snack tonight. :onfire: I guess I could review one of these Peach Bhuts, but I really don't want to do two different types of ghosts in the same week. :rofl:

Side note, if anyone has any they want me to try (or think I should), feel free to hit me up! I can't grow at my current location unfortunately, so my pod situation is at the mercy of others.

My Chocolate Ghosts came in today, going to try one of those tonight.

Back