• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

If you had to cut 5 from the list

which would they be?

I know I'll everyone has different criteria and opinions. This is my tentative list but I'll probably have to cut back a little. I plan on growing a total of approximately 120 plants. Some on my list are must grows for fresh seed, others are new to me. Last year was my first year growing super hots, I grew 7 pot Douglah and Not Bhut Jolokia Chocolate, this was suppose to be Bhut Jolokia Chocolate but turned red. I isolated these two and want to regrow to see if the Douglah grows true but also want to see what the not Bhut Jolokia chocolate throws out, perhaps it'll revert to a parent.

So what would you eliminate from the list?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Bold and underlined are must grows for consumption, sauce making or for fresh or new seeds.

Aji Dulce #2 -
Aji Lemon Drop
Alma Paprika
Anaheim
Ancho 101
Beaver Dam
Bhut Jolokia

not bhut jolokia chocolate
Cayenne Long Slim
Chile De Arbol
Chimayo
Chinese 5 Color
Douglah source 1
Douglah source 2
Fatalii
Fatalii Yellow
Grenada Seasoning
Hab 1?
Hab 2?
Jalapeno
Kalocsai v-2
Morougah Red
Numex Suave Orange
Pablano
Paprika Supreme f/?

Pasilla Bagio
Peach Bhut Jolokia
Pimente d' Espelette
Poblano L

Sandia A
Tabasco
Tobago Sweet Scotch Bonnet
Trinidad Congo Yellow
Trinidad Perfume
Trinidad Scorpian Moruga Blend
Yellow Jamaican Scotch Bonnet

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Anaheim[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Ancho 101[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]not bhut jolokia chocolate[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Hab 1?[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Hab 2?[/background]

It sounds good that you want to eliminate a few...but if you are anything like a lot of the growers around here you wont! :) They may just get a smaller container. If you are going for variety, then I would eliminate anything you have doubles of. The Douglah source 1 and 2, pick the better source. The Fatalli and Fatalli yellow, get rid of the yellow, because the Fatalli is inherantly yellow. Another way to look at it is what you intend to use them for. I grew the Tobago seasoning, Datil sweet, and trinidad perfume last season and one of those plants put off plenty of pods. I ended up giving a lot of them away and tossed the rest (the supers got first dibs on the freezer). I would say that the Trin Perfume was my favorite, great producer and good flavor. Either way, you got a great list, you will have enough that dropping a few wont do much...

Matt

why not list the must haves, then that will help narrow down the choice.
i no longer grow anything that i can get at my local grocers, i have 1 orange hab plant left but once it dies no more orange habs for me.

Good advice, I'll go back and edit the must haves.

Matt, you're right about having enough peppers, that's why we bought an upright freezer last summer. And, thanks for the compliment for the list

Trinidad Perfume: I REALLY like these candied, but so far that's the only way I like them. Don't care for them in savory stuff at all, and don't care for them raw. But I have grown several each of the last 2 years because I like candying them so much.
Lemon Drops: These taste to me like kissing granny on the lips - old-lady lipstick taste. Ick.

But that's just IMO - other people agree and disagree, so you'll have to make up your own mind.

Aji Dulce #2 -
Grenada Seasoning
Numex Suave Orange
Tobago Sweet Scotch Bonnet
Trinidad Perfume

Everyone has his taste but to me sweet chinenses are a loss of time, sweet annuums are far more interesting for flavor and fast growing.
Maybe keep one to judge yourself.

Happy season

Datil

My understanding is that poblanos are better when they are overwintered and into year two and beyond. I had some ok production from mine a couple of years ago, but they were so late season that half of the pods were still green when I had to take everything down for winter.

i would have to go with joyner's picks perhaps off the jalapeno and keep 1 hab? (assuming jalapeno are readily available in your grocery stores).

i am sure whatever choices you make will be good ones, good luck.

I'd dump anything you can get cheap at the market.

Chile De Arbol , Ancho , Anaheim , Jalapeno and if hab #1 or 2 is orange.
But Ca. has a LOT of Mex. Marts everywhere...

I wanted to thank everyone for taking the time to respond. I've been under the weather and haven't had a clear head to figure out what I'm going to do. Fortunately I do have some time.

Thanks!

You're going to grow around 120 plants and you're worried about five being too many? Just grow what you want, trust me you will find a way.

Patrick, thanks for stopping by, I appreciate the feedback. It's not just 5 plants but 5 varieties, taking up 15-30 spots in the garden. I'm getting close to narrowing down the grow list and I hope to have it done and posted by the end of next week

OK, I'm not sure if anyone cares but I've updated my final grow list under my profile (not including the sweets).

I decided to post the final list here as well so people didn't have to go the profile page.

[background=rgb(240, 227, 210)]Aji Dulce #2[/background]
[background=rgb(240, 227, 210)]Aji Lemon Drop[/background]
[background=rgb(240, 227, 210)]Alma Paprika[/background]
[background=rgb(240, 227, 210)]Anaheim[/background]
[background=rgb(240, 227, 210)]Ancho 101[/background]
[background=rgb(240, 227, 210)]Beaver Dam[/background]
[background=rgb(240, 227, 210)]Bhut Jolokia[/background]
[background=rgb(240, 227, 210)]Cayenne Red Long Slim[/background]
[background=rgb(240, 227, 210)]Chimayo[/background]
[background=rgb(240, 227, 210)]7 Pot Douglah[/background]
[background=rgb(240, 227, 210)]Fatalii Yellow[/background]
[background=rgb(240, 227, 210)]Grenada Seasoning[/background]