Illinois Farmer Market Advice

Howdy all,

I have read all I can on this topic on this forum and getting great advice. Thank You all!  :clap:

I have been searching the internet for info about selling Hot Sauce in Illinois and the more I read the more confused I become with all the regulations and licences and what to do to become legal. 

I just want to start to make small batches to sell to strangers before I start making or consider an all-out assault on the market. Just want to make a few Bucks here and there to supplement my upcoming retirement.

I reckon what I'm asking is:
Are there any members here that are actively selling in the Illinois, Farmers Market/Cottage Kitchen circuit that can steer me in the right direction?
Frankly the more I read the more dazed and confused I become.  :doh:

What I am really interested in, needs to be Illinois specific.  

Thank you in advance,
PaPaGrizz

I googled it and hot sauce is a no for cottage law. Baked goods, (some) fruit preserves, (some) fruit pies, and dry herbs only.

NO canned foods, except for fruit jams, fruit jellies, fruit preserves, fruit butters, and acidified vegetables.

If you need clarification you need to call.

Hot sauces are not part of the cottage industry items. Check out starting a hot sauce business thread...Shoot....Gotta figger out hot to link it....

With hot sauces, you will have to get locally legally licensed. If you have a kitchen to use, not your home kitchen, it is not too expensive. Maybe a few pieces of equipment.

PaPaGrizz said:
Howdy all,

I have read all I can on this topic on this forum and getting great advice. Thank You all!  :clap:

I have been searching the internet for info about selling Hot Sauce in Illinois and the more I read the more confused I become with all the regulations and licences and what to do to become legal. 

I just want to start to make small batches to sell to strangers before I start making or consider an all-out assault on the market. Just want to make a few Bucks here and there to supplement my upcoming retirement.

I reckon what I'm asking is:
Are there any members here that are actively selling in the Illinois, Farmers Market/Cottage Kitchen circuit that can steer me in the right direction?
Frankly the more I read the more dazed and confused I become.  :doh:

What I am really interested in, needs to be Illinois specific.  

Thank you in advance,
PaPaGrizz
That's about all Illinois is good for.

Not sure where you live but there's a place in minooka next to my fav bar that is a rental kitchen. I've been thinking about giving them a call see what else they have on hand. Looks like they are more designed for bakers ect http://hivekitchen.com/our-kitchen/ would still need all the licensing ect unless you used a copacker. Would still need your recipe to be approved. 

Thank you all for the great advice and input. I have a lot to learn and a long way to go!!

kiss.jpg

Back