• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds I'm back and have old seeds!

I've been away from this forum for some years and it's been maybe 4 or 5 years since I've started from seed. Super excited to start up again!

I have old pepper seeds from a Holiday Pepper Seed swap from 2014. Any suggestions on helping them germinate?

beverly said:
Ahhhhh!!! Thanks for these links! Exactly what I needed. 

EkPO5zX.jpg

beverly said:
I've been away from this forum for some years and it's been maybe 4 or 5 years since I've started from seed. Super excited to start up again!

I have old pepper seeds from a Holiday Pepper Seed swap from 2014. Any suggestions on helping them germinate?
Skullbiker had a nice posting a few weeks ago
about germinating old seeds. He showed one
that germinated in 3 hours from an old dry seed.

Worth checking out.

The 2014 seed should be good as long as storage
has been adequate. Just give them a good soak
before purring into the germinator chambers.

solid7 said:

While that was a very informative video, I couldn't help but get the impression that I was watching a documentary on Obsessive Compulsive Disorder...

Nope, he added TWO drops of 12% H2O2, but was only supposed to add one.

Oleic said:

Nope, he added TWO drops of 12% H2O2, but was only supposed to add one.

He also added pre-measured water from a jar EXACTLY like the one he was pouring it into.
Maybe he concluded that if he poured it out, and started over, it would have put him one drop closer to that bottle ending up in the landfill. Or maybe he didn't have another jar to prefill, to dilute the second drop of H2O2 from.  I can think of a few scenarios.  We aren't totally sure what his top criteria was...

Sometimes being exact is therapeutic. In Japanese culture it is a way of life.
The art of making sushi is supposed to be like that. This is how you achieve ZEN. Like a rock garden.

I find it anxiety reliving to find quiet time to do something perfectly. You get the satisfaction of knowing you did all that you physically can, and the distraction away from all the crap you cant control.  :thumbsup:

I love tasks that benefit form precision.
Brewing Beer
Sharpening knives
Gardening
Shooting

ADD And OCD both have drawbacks, but both can be used like super powers in the right situation. I don't have OCD But i do have ADD and I am able to hyperfocus IF
I'm interested in the task at hand. I get great satisfaction while in the hyperfocused state. Probably why I am here on THP come to think of it. I'm not a cereal killer I swear.

Cayennemist said:
The art of making sushi is supposed to be like that. This is how you achieve ZEN. Like a rock garden.

I find it anxiety reliving to find quiet time to do something perfectly. You get the satisfaction of knowing you did all that you physically can, and the distraction away from all the crap you cant control.  :thumbsup:

Brewing Beer
Sharpening knives
Gardening
Shooting

ADD And OCD both have drawbacks, but both can be used like super powers in the right situation. I don't have OCD But i do have ADD and I am able to hyperfocus IF
I'm interested in the task at hand. I get great satisfaction while in the hyperfocused state. Probably why I am here on THP come to think of it. I'm not a cereal killer I swear.

Interesting..... I've been advised on occasion I'm anal retentive and enjoy many of above hobbies.

Well, if you mill your grain before brewing, then you are a cereal killer.
r/BoneAppleTea

However, sometimes I wish I had a touch of OCD. I garden like I cook like I eat. Grab a handful of this and another of that - somehow it usually works out, but the mess can be significant...

Cayennemist said:

Brewing Beer
Sharpening knives
Gardening
Shooting

I hear you. I hone straight razors.
Sharpening knives is easy with a 1x30 belt sander with a 400 grit belt and a leather belt.

Proud Marine Dad said:
I hear you. I hone straight razors.
Sharpening knives is easy with a 1x30 belt sander with a 400 grit belt and a leather belt.

The new thing is a a round piece of MDF on a bench grinder. I haven't tried it yet, but that's the rage these days. I saw a video of a guy getting VG10 to razor sharp in about a minute. Now I cant find the vid of the SpiderCo, but this vide will give you an idea.
 ​
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDKaFB5kX0M&ab_channel=MatthewLawrence​

Back