• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

I'm bored!

AJ,

I can understand you - not only do you get an extra 3-4 months of growing time, you can now process your harvest. I, OTOH, did that three months ago! And with the exception of a few tomato seeds once a month, it's way too early to start anything but bananas and I worry about them growing way too large. Some people say they start out extremely slowly, others say they are very fast growers. I know the "plants" I bought, which were about 15" tall, have grown more than six inches in a couple of weeks.

I want them to be about 1.5-2 feet tall by early May.

Mike

understand Mike...hope you find the info on bananas you are seeking...I've never even tried to grow any...

AlabamaJack said:
understand Mike...hope you find the info on bananas you are seeking...I've never even tried to grow any...

AJ,

It's becoming "the more I read, the less I know." Almost like a he said/she said thing!

My thinking is I can always put them in a larger pot, up to seven gallons if I need to (and sell them for a lot more!) but I cannot make them grow much faster. I have another room I can use and I've already hung lights in it.

It's the germination that is hard to plan. I know with maters and peppers, I'm looking at 7-14 days at the very most. Some of these packages say 1-12 months to germinate. :onfire:

Mike

I just treat my bananas like houseplants, and although they are quite big plants, they don't grow much this time of year unless you wanna give them artificial light. Mine just grow with light from a patio door.
I've had some bananas take almost a year to germinate, it really depends on the variety as well as the seed age/quality

A thought just hit me: I can start some Legend or Siletz seeds this week! They are early season tomatoes, can grow inside (parthenocarpic), are determinate and do not require as much sunlight as other maters. I can market them as Easter Tomatoes as they should produce ripe fruit within 10 weeks or so.

Plus, in a week or so, I can sow some a few superhots - yipee!

I see my SADD (Sowing Abstention Depression Disease) abating soon!

Mike

POTAWIE said:
I just treat my bananas like houseplants, and although they are quite big plants, they don't grow much this time of year unless you wanna give them artificial light.

Potawie,

I'm not trying to grow plants yet, just get seed to germinate so I can get them large enough to transplant. Any hints for this part?

Mike

My only advice is to have patience and use a good quality "soil", and start a few more seeds than needed.
Good luck

Potawie,

I have about 25 different types with 5-10 seeds of each, plus 100 Darjeeling seeds. If I can get one of five seeds to germinate, I'll be very happy.

Mike

Back