• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense I'm confused about the Datil pepper

I've Datil'ed a few times in the past...

I think this was my first, from 2009. PI281435. Seeds from John Fiedler (@fiedlermiester) RIP
Datil - PI281435 - jf.JPG

This is what a Datil looked like in 2012.
Datil.JPG Datil Yellow.JPG

...there was also Datil Sweet.
Datil Sweet.JPG Not Datil 3.JPG

...and some others.
Not Datil.JPG Not Datil 2.JPG

So, I guess it's safe to say there is a lot of "variability" when it comes to Datil.🙂

Interresting; here's what I've found about them (https://www.thechileman.org/results.php?find=Datil&heat=Any&origin=Any&genus=Any&chile=1):

1678561983296.png

I also grew Datil which did not look nor taste much like the Minorcan Datil!
1678562296464.png
1678562413383.png

I know there is another one called "Super Datil" but I have never grown it.

Last edited:
Another company to hit up, they probably don't mind chatting about the datil.

Another company to hit up, they probably don't mind chatting about the datil.
He grows 40% of his peppers and even has pictures of what he uses in his blog.

Is that what you grew from Pure Florida seeds?
No! I ordered these seeds from Atlantic Pepper Seeds. I already knew they were probably not Datils but I was curious to try them as I liked the way they looked. I got the yellow from mustard pods I harvested the year before...

The peppers Minorcan Mike uses looks just like the ones from Florida Pure.
Looks like a safe best.
PLEASE NOTE, THESE ARE THE REAL DATIL. THE SEEDS I SELL ARE THE DATILS PASSED FROM MY GRANDFATHER TO MY DAD AND THEN TO ME.
ALSO, I GROW THEM IN ISOLATION FROM ANY OTHER PEPPER VARIETIES TO AVOID ANY CHANCE OF CROSS-POLLINATION.
MINE ARE 100% ST. AUGUSTINE ORIGIN DATILS.

Looks like a safe best.
PLEASE NOTE, THESE ARE THE REAL DATIL. THE SEEDS I SELL ARE THE DATILS PASSED FROM MY GRANDFATHER TO MY DAD AND THEN TO ME.
ALSO, I GROW THEM IN ISOLATION FROM ANY OTHER PEPPER VARIETIES TO AVOID ANY CHANCE OF CROSS-POLLINATION.
MINE ARE 100% ST. AUGUSTINE ORIGIN DATILS.
Yup can’t wait for the seeds to land. I’m hyped about this one. 😁

The fakes are called Datil pronounced [ Dah-tul ]

The real ones are Datil too but pronounced [ Day-til ]

It's easy to get confused :P I'm still confused...
In Florida they say it more like Dad-ul, otherwise none of those puns like DATIL DO IT (That'll do it) would make sense lol.

You can hear it here:

As part of your research you might contact one of those old Florida sauce/jelly companies to see what they use. There's all kinds of companies with datil puns as their name (for That'll) and they've been around since the 80s or even longer. They usually sell jelly, mustard, and sauce. They are very specific about the datil they use and may even only know of that one type. Here's one of the ones I know of, one of the "bigger" (non-farmers market) ones. See what THEY say a datil is.
Dat’l Do-it offered a “grow your own kit” at one point. Seen it watching the video below. Minorcan Mike even makes an appearance.

AF7652C5-42F6-4C79-80F0-05DE3287EA6D.jpeg

Been growing the ones from Baker Creek for years. The pods definitely have the smell and kick of a chinense. Very tasty too.

Back