I'm skeered

I just came across five bottles of Stone Vertical Epic 040404 and four bottles of the 050505 in my basement that weren't refrigerated. They've been in a cool dark room.
I'm gonna crack open one of each and see if they're still fit for consumption.
The 3 year old bottle of Victory Prima Pils I had in my beer fridge, though, is very tasty.

Skydiver said:
I just came across five bottles of Stone Vertical Epic 040404 and four bottles of the 050505 in my basement that weren't refrigerated. They've been in a cool dark room.
I'm gonna crack open one of each and see if they're still fit for consumption.
The 3 year old bottle of Victory Prima Pils I had in my beer fridge, though, is very tasty.

Pilsers do not age well, the Stone however, are designed for aging. You know how much those bottles would go for on eBay? Alot.

imaguitargod said:
Pilsers do not age well, the Stone however, are designed for aging. You know how much those bottles would go for on eBay? Alot.

Pilsner is a lager. Lager means "to store". IGG FAIL.

Skydiver said:
I just came across five bottles of Stone Vertical Epic 040404 and four bottles of the 050505.....

If you insist on opening them at least wait until september 9th of this year. Think about it......5 bottles of 040404 and 4 bottles of 050505 opened and drank on 09/09/09

texas blues said:
Pilsner is a lager. Lager means "to store". IGG FAIL.

Lager is in referance to what they do to the beer before release. Higher alcohol beers and hoppy beers are the best to age. Pilsners generally have neither and end up tasting much closer to water every additional year they are aged. TB FAIL.

Sickmont said:
If you insist on opening them at least wait until september 9th of this year. Think about it......5 bottles of 040404 and 4 bottles of 050505 opened and drank on 09/09/09

And on 9-9-09, their newest Vertical Epic is released!!!

imaguitargod said:
Lager is in referance to what they do to the beer before release. Higher alcohol beers and hoppy beers are the best to age. Pilsners generally have neither and end up tasting much closer to water every additional year they are aged. TB FAIL.

In Alaska years ago, I brewed more beer than I could actually drink. I've had 3 and 4 year old lagers that were not highly alcoholic or heavily hopped that I had stashed. They were just fine and not at all watery. Your theory's are outdated thinking from the days of the dinosaur and pre refridgeration. Bottled and stored properly, no problemo amigo. I dispute your FAIL and claim the WIN!

Salute', TB.

I'll settle this. Send me the beers in question and I will submit them to the unfathomably impeccable pallate that I've seasoned so lovingly over the last few years. I will decide who gets the WIN and who will be crying in the FAIL corner!

FiveStar said:
I'll settle this. Send me the beers in question and I will submit them to the unfathomably impeccable pallate that I've seasoned so lovingly over the last few years. I will decide who gets the WIN and who will be crying in the FAIL corner!

Too late...I have already sent Passow the Towel of FAIL to cry on.

Salute', TB.

BWAHAHAHAAH!!! Perhaps you should send him a razor of FAIL in case he wants to do himself in! Or maybe a nice life journal to write in... you know, to document all the FAIL he's experienced in one lifetime....

Yes, but I've thrown the Bottle of Fail at TB. Just because it's a lager doen't mean it won't age well, I was specifically speaking of Pilsners.

imaguitargod said:
Yes, but I've thrown the Bottle of Fail at TB. Just because it's a lager doen't mean it won't age well, I was specifically speaking of Pilsners.

Ok, heres a third side of it. I was told by a couple of folks here who've been brewing for years that as long as the beer hasn't been filtered and has sediment at the bottom of the bottle it will age. What are your opinions of that one?

imaguitargod said:

Thank you sir. You've made my case for me.

As per Pilsner, I will refer to the original pilsner from the town of the same name, Pilsner Urquell aka Prazdroij. A toast malt and hoppy brew that ages just fine.

:TB taps the Keg of FAIL and pours IGG a pitcher:

Prost!, TB.

OH! Pitcher, thanks TB!

Sickmont said:
Ok, heres a third side of it. I was told by a couple of folks here who've been brewing for years that as long as the beer hasn't been filtered and has sediment at the bottom of the bottle it will age. What are your opinions of that one?

The sediment will definitly help.

ok ok you guys are loosing me on what ya can age for beer.
in short can I age guinness 250 anniversary stout & expect good results ?
do I need to keep them in a fridge (like mentioned above) or just keep in a cool dark place ?

BTW IGG ckeck your PM, I figure youd see this vfirst here cuz it deals with booze :P

Back