• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pics I'm Stoked - About to Harvest First Pepper Ever (pics)

Looking good so far, I think.  Have a few yellow cayennes that are about ready to pick.  This site has been so helpful for a first timer. Thanks to everyone for patiently answering questions. Love this hobby.

Rained today so things are a little droopy.

Hebron-20130618-00135.jpg
Hebron-20130618-00136.jpg
Hebron-20130618-00139.jpg
Hebron-20130618-00140.jpg
Hebron-20130618-00141.jpg

Thanks for looking.

John

howardsnm1 said:
+ 1 from noah.. let it hang for a while.. red is better ..

Noah Yates said:
If you let it turn red it will have more flavor XD
Yes let them ripen to red and not only will the pepper taste better you can harvest seeds for next season ! If pods not ripe dont keep seeds they will not grem!

Where are you located in Northern Kentucky?  I've got plants I should give away....because more are on the way and in my flats and my neighbor's yard is looking mighty fertile, but that might get me in trouble.  I suspect they'd know where random pepper plants came from if they just appeared in their yard.

Awesome! Congrats on the first crop! By this time next year you'll be cursing yourself, saying "crap.... I went overboard. Where am I gonna put all of these plants?"

Yes let them ripen to red and not only will the pepper taste better you can harvest seeds for next season ! If pods not ripe dont keep seeds they will not grem!
I thought the same thing. I was given a bag of unripened scotch bonnets last season to make powder for a friend (he prefers the flavor and heat at the unripened stage). I kept about 10 seeds. I planted 4 and 3/4 germinated... 2 of them are actually my strongest plants.

Having said that, for my own purposes, I will continue to harvest ripe pods for seeds.

Just thought that was an interesting side note.

OP: Great looking setup! Congrats

Awesome! Congrats on the first crop! By this time next year you'll be cursing yourself, saying "crap.... I went overboard. Where am I gonna put all of these

I was think i went over board this year ! Come to find out i didn't. i got them all outside most in yard and like 20 in pots ! All my seeds i got from pepper joes! Then i order some plants 2weeks ago from refining fire chillies. Cant have to many pepper plants !!!! Not sure on the i have would have to count them. But im past the 100 mark ! Last year i only had 6 pepper plants (weak sauce)!

And dont be dissapointed if it tastes bitter... last season the first wave of peppers from my anuums tasted nasty... like a soapy bitterness.  Ive read about others having similar experiences.  The next peppers will be better. 

And go Big Blue!!!!!!   #Kentucky Pride

Bruce said:
Where are you located in Northern Kentucky?  I've got plants I should give away....because more are on the way and in my flats and my neighbor's yard is looking mighty fertile, but that might get me in trouble.  I suspect they'd know where random pepper plants came from if they just appeared in their yard.
In Hebron.  Work in Erlanger.  As you can see, I'm a little crowded already.  I have 47 planted in 7 pots and 2 4X4 beds.  What kind of plants do you have?

Back