• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

I'm stumped as to why my pepper fruit is doing this:

Earlier sets of fruit have been good, but now seeing this 'netting' of fruits on a few plants. Cannot find any insect culprit. Any help is greatly appreciated!
20200825_185855.jpg
20200825_185937.jpg
20200825_190205.jpg

naturemitch said:
Earlier sets of fruit have been good, but now seeing this 'netting' of fruits on a few plants. Cannot find any insect culprit. Any help is greatly appreciated!
attachicon.gif
20200825_185855.jpg
attachicon.gif
20200825_185937.jpg
attachicon.gif
20200825_190205.jpg
That is actually damage caused by mites. In Iowa, it’s Cyclamen Mites that do that, says the University there.
If it were a potato or tomato, we might walk right passed that “russeting” on those peppers. I’ve read the article before, but if I try to repeat it, I’ll get it wrong. Here’s the link.
https://hortnews.extension.iastate.edu/2011/9-14/cyclamenmite.html

A jewelers Loupe (scope) is what you’ll need to see those.

Bhuter said:
That is actually damage caused by mites. In Iowa, it’s Cyclamen Mites that do that, says the University there.

Yep, agreed on mites, although the jury is out whether it's broad mites or cyclamen, because they both can do the same thing.
The bottom picture is exhibiting damage from something else, as well.  It looks like something bored into the pod before it started to rot.  The mites will cause the deformation and undesirable aesthetic - as well as shutting down growth - but the rotten part appears to be from something else.

Back