• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Imposter Habanero?

I bought a pack of habanero seeds from Amazon in May and the plants are well into the process of producing peppers. However, the two plants are producing different peppers, despite the fact that they're both from the same back of habanero seeds. Is the bottom photo a jalapeno imposter plant, and if so, is the pepper ripe?

habanerog.jpg

imposter.jpg

Both look more C. Annuum to me than C. Chinense. The bottom one does not resemble a Jalapeño. I'd put money on hybrids from non-isolated stock.

pepperoncini.jpg
Pretty nice peppers- you might have a better deal than you expected- the bottom one looks like the Tuscan pepperoncini, or a little like a peter. The top one is hab if you ask me.

Greek_pepperoncini.jpg
greek

I don't think the top is a hab. The calyx on the pepper looks like it has "teeth" which is usually indicative of an Annuum variety, not a Chinense, which the habanero belongs to.

The calyx in the top also appears to be larger than I would expect on a Habanero.

A photo from top down would help.

Lol well this isn't very good news at all! I also have a 'fatalli' but it's still young so I'll have to wait and see if I've actually been sold an apple tree or a cactus instead... Here are some more photos of what I assumed to be the habaneros:

img1012i.jpg

img1011bx.jpg

img1013ub.jpg

Lol well this isn't very good news at all! I also have a 'fatalli' but it's still young so I'll have to wait and see if I've actually been sold an apple tree or a cactus instead... Here are some more photos of what I assumed to be the habaneros:

img1012i.jpg

img1011bx.jpg

img1013ub.jpg

Definitely not a Habanero going by those photos. They have a resemblance to C. Annuum Yellow or Red Mushroom.

Post a photo of the Fatalii plant if it has adult leaves.

Thought this deserved an update. I picked one of the mushroom-shaped peppers today, chopped it in half and licked it, assuming it was just some sweet pepper not worth caring about. Half an hour later, I'm still nursing my burned lips and tongue, and breathing through my mouth.

Back