Improvised blow off

Any reason why this would be ineffective? I had an airlock on it but the lid starting doming up and it looked like it was a bout to blow. so i pulled the airlock out and put a sanitized bowl over the hole. Once crap stopped foaming out i wiped down the lid with star san, put the little plastic cup over the hole and poured starsan on the lid to create a seal with the cup.
airlock.JPG

I think that this is a recipe for disaster. What's to keep the sanitizer from creeping under the cup? The rock and the air pressure might suffice for now, but eventually the positive pressure (from inside the bucket) will decrease, and then you're liable to have leakage into the bucket. Also, there's a lot of surface area where your sanitizer is located, so it will evaporate pretty quickly.

From your description, it sounds like your airlock is somehow clogged. I would ensure that there is no obstruction and try it again.

Whe I have a mash that ferments too hard for a traditional airlock... I take a rubber tube fromt the relief hole in the lid and arch it into a mason jar filled with distilled water so the end of tube is underwater and prevents anything nasty from getting into the mash......just my .02

Thanks for the advice and ideas. It's slowed down enough that i put the airlock back in and its fine now. I only left it like that over night. The positive pressure from the CO2 was keeping the liquid from creeping in. And i don't believe a little star san would have any negative affects.

It was an OG 1.085 Baltic Porter or would it be considered a Belgian Porter? I followed Stone Vertical 090909's example and went with Wyeast Ardennes. Spiced with vanilla bean and tangerine peels.

From now on big brews will go in the better bottle with a blow off tube. I used the pail for this cuz both my bb's are currently in use.

UnNatural said:
It was an OG 1.085 Baltic Porter or would it be considered a Belgian Porter? I followed Stone Vertical 090909's example and went with Wyeast Ardennes. Spiced with vanilla bean and tangerine peels.

That sounds really nice. Please let us know how it turns out!

Here is what I use.
Pull off the cap and float for the fermentation lock and put a hose on it.
I put the hose in a gal. jug 1/4 full of bleach or sanitizer and water.

IM004258.jpg

+1 for the blow off tube!

I jam a piece of tube strait in the fermenter lid o ring and run it to a 2 liter pet bottle with a bit of starsan solution in it.

It can blow all the yeast and crap in there it wants.

The problem you have with the crap on the lid it it can pick up bacteria and get back in the fermenter........ which leads to infection.

cheers

Back