• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

in-ground In ground - Flat or hills?

Our main field is on a slight slope east to west.  Our rows are raised about six inches to a foot running east west, that way extra water can flow away easily.  Have seen folk just sort of til up the soil and plant in a flat garden.  Am wondering if folk here have had luck with that.

My thinking is that because peppers prefer to be a bit more dry than other garden plants that the raised row or raised bed is more product than flat garden space.

Where I live it's so hot I plant directly in the furrows so I can flood the rows rather quickly. But it really would be a more of a environmental factor as how you plant. I know many folks plant on top of their furrows in cooler climates. Also I have seen some amazing growth from those that have used hillsides to plant. We have one Valley called Fallbrook just South of me where most grow on hillsides. But they have really spectacular soil too. 

SL3 - Reading what you said about hillsides makes me think.  Plan is this fall to start working on a new plot of the land which is sloped down hill to a pond.  Was going to terrace the thing.  Now thinking on what you said and how much easier it would be not to terrace makes me go hmmmm...

Reactions: SL3
I live at the base of our local mountains so each house is basically terraced.
I cut into my backyard hill and did the terrace thing for my Tabasco, corn, artichoke, and eggplant.
Drains nice north to south and plants seem to like it.

Reactions: SL3
I think if I terrace it is going to be for looks.  The area I want to do it is surrounded on three sides with hills and trees sloping to a pond.  Behind the pond, noting but deer pasture n more trees.  Makes for a spot where you can not see the house, barn, power poles, telephone lines or anything modern.  Would be a nice place for a garden of something other than weeds.

Got another area that I want to turn into a maze like the ones folk do out of hedges.  All kind of future dreams cause too much work for this year.

Back