• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

annuum In search of Different Jalapeno types

Last season I tried 10 varieties of jalapeno:

Billy Biker
Full Pack
Gigante
Goliath
Grande
Jumbo
Mammoth
Pepper Joe's
Purple
Tajin

Of all of these Tajin from reimers seeds was by far the most impressive in terms of flavor, aesthetics, vigor, disease resistance, and productivity.  They were not only the most impressive jalapeno, but the most impressive pepper plants period in a field of over 60 varieties.  Thee only downside is that its an F1 hybrid.
Purple Jalapeno from territorial seed co is another one of the bunch that I will be growing again (this time from refining fire seed stock)... although it wasnt extremely productive, the peppers taste great, and the plants themselves are beautiful.

This season I will be trialing farmers jalapeno and "cracked" jalapeno from pepper lover in addition to purple jalapeno and alot of tajin.
For me no pepper can beat the taste of a nice crispy, corked, red, ripe jalapeno.

I am looking for how many different types of jalapenos there are and where do you  recommend buying them from.
I want to grow as many different ones to see which ones I like the best
Thanks

I've been trying about three or four different types a year for a few years, my go to favorite that I plant every year is Primo Jalapeno from Gurney's Seeds. For me they have the best heat and are most consistant year after year. I usually plant about 4 varieties and a total of about 50 plants!

I hope you have fun and enjoy your Jalapeno adventure.

I am growing the following types this year:

Jalapeno Biker Billy
Jalapeno Farmer's Market
Jalapeno Giant
Jaloro
NuMex Jalamundo
NuMex Vaquero

The Jaloro is one of the varieties over at Chileplants.com.  The two NuMex varieties are from Chilepepperinstitute.com.  They have many more varieties as well.

I was impressed with the Big Guy Jalapenos (Burpee) I grew last year.

Pods were 4 to 5 inches long, some well over an inch in diameter, and hotter than the Biker Billys.

I ordered the Jalamundo it fit what I was looking for making cowboy candy & pepper Jelly etc
It had a higher shu then your standard jalapeño & thick flesh also was the closest one that looked like the ones my friend & I get at a local Mexican restruant .
My second choice would be Vaquero Jalapeño both are Numex I got my seeds form Midwest Chileheads great little company.

Good point!!  I knew there was some member who had a large collection of jalapenos, but I couldn't remember who.  I wish he would stop by here and tell us what some of his favorites are.  I might even pick up another cultivar of my favorite pepper type.

Back