• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

plant Incorrectly labeled seeds?

Is this some type of c. Frutescens? It was advertised as Dorset Naga but it has the wrong number of petals and the peppers are growing vertically
image.jpg

Your plant is definitely not Naga Dorset. I've grown this variety in the past and it looked very different from yours. My seeds came from Towns-End.

"Incorrect labeling" can be anything between the two extremes of "scam" and "human f4ck-4up". Can you disclose the source of the seeds?

Last edited:
that kind of crinkly look to the pepper's body looks a lot like the lotah bih (c.frut.) that i am growing this year.

it is purported to be the predecessor/parent of the ghost pepper, which is sometimes known as bih jolokia, which could help explain why it may have been sold/advertised as a naga/ghost type?

Last edited:
that kind of crinkly look to the pepper's body looks a lot like the lotah bih (c.frut.) that i am growing this year.

it is purported to be the predecessor/parent of the ghost pepper, which is sometimes known as bih jolokia, which could help explain why it may have been sold/advertised as a naga/ghost type?
It would be great if it’s something interesting like that instead of a common Thai variety plus being closer to what I ordered would be even better

a little more detail:

naga/bhut/ghost are considered a c.chinense, but the history i've read is that some type of chinense (don't remember which) was (naturally?) crossed with the c.frutescens lotah bih and resulted in the superhot ghost pepper.

caveat:

this is my first time successfully growing the lotah bih, only one is fruiting currently and i have not got many pods on it yet, so i do not know if the characteristics i see are the true form.

and of course i certainly have no idea if what you have is in fact lotah bih, just a suggestion to look into.

a little more detail:

naga/bhut/ghost are considered a c.chinense, but the history i've read is that some type of chinense (don't remember which) was (naturally?) crossed with the c.frutescens lotah bih and resulted in the superhot ghost pepper.

caveat:

this is my first time successfully growing the lotah bih, only one is fruiting currently and i have not got many pods on it yet, so i do not know if the characteristics i see are the true form.

and of course i certainly have no idea if what you have is in fact lotah bih, just a suggestion to look into.
I have a few super hot chinense so I’ll have to see what happens when I cross them. I have another similar plant that I thought was a scotch bonnet, however I clearly mixed up my seedlings, and I believe I have two of these mystery plants. The second is much larger with several dozen more flowers, but so far only 2 pods, so it’ll be very interesting to see how these two plants develop.

Last edited:
Back