• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

pests Indigenous Pest management of chillies( Nagaland)

Here are some of the indigenous pest control methods used in the cultivation of King chilli.

Seed storing- Blend the extracted chilli seeds in Bamboo shoot juice( Dendrocalamus hemiltonii) and dry it ...stored it in a paper bags or bamboo cups.

Aphids and Thrips Management: Release red ants(Oecophylla smaragdina) in the nursery and in the main fields, it will take care of your chilli plants , killing all the aphids and thrips.

Fruit rot Management: apply 10% concentration of Bamboo shoot juice (pH-3.4-4.0) at the flowering stage, BSJ have a very good inhibition on fruit rot fungi and aslo its a insects repellent.

buzz up for any addition or deletion .

So are you soaking the seeds in BSJ before drying and storing to act as an anti-fungal/anti-bacterial in advance? Would you not continue to spray BSJ on the plants/pods past the flowering stage - does it work directly on the fruits, as well? What is/are the active elements in it? And why haven't you been on chat lately? :o)

Gotta admit, the red ant cure for aphids is gutsy. All I can say is "OUCH". Hm. Let me say it again: OUCH!

Yes Gemme.
. lately, i have been relocated to busy Singapore.

The main compound in BSJ that act as anti microbes is " Poly-phenolic : Ligans". it has a High degree inhibition on Microbes..Treating fresh seeds extracts with BSJ before storing its important.. Spraying BSJ 10% conc on chilli plants @ 20 days intervals after flowing stage shows good results on control of fruit rots.

Yeah, Red ants are best friends for chilli farmers, Red ants are plenty avail around chilli farms. release of 1 red ant nest is enuff to destroy aphids and trips in an area of 30X30sqM.

these methods are selected on availabilities, easy, cheap and eco friendly.

Back