• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

indoor Indoor chile garden not so fruitful?

Ok so i planted two bhut jolokia plants, two cayenne, one jalapeno, and one carribean red habenero around july 12th from seed, i started them under four foot CFL grow lights they grew to be about a foot tall and then leaves started turning yellow and falling off working from the bottom up. I asumed they are not getting enough light so about a week ago i installed a 250 watt MH light and its been about a week now and the plants havnt grown much the bottom two leaves on each plant are still a tint of yellow. I'be been feeding them correctly and have them auto watered from the bottom. i'm unsure what to do at this point i've read that 250 watts should be fine for my 2'x3' grow space but i thought i'd ask someone with more experience since this is my first time growing indoors, so what do you think the problem is, is there a problem, or im a just not as patient as i should be. -Thanks

The first flowering/fruiting tends to not be as productive as in subsequent flowerings/fruitings, mainly because the plant is, by and large, still growing, so it's splitting its energies. Once the plants get to their max size (around a meter tall for C chinese), then they'll produce a lot more.

Yellowing is most frequently (but not always) a sign of overwatering. Most people here who've grown peppers a while allow the leaves to start drooping a tad before watering, as peppers tend to like somewhat dry conditions. Not bone dry, but fairly dry. When you're growing in pots, and particularly plastic pots, the soil can be dry at the surface, yet really wet underneath. The two things to look for, then, are the slight drooping of the leaves and the weight of the pots. Yes, periodically pick your pots up off the floor (or whatever they're on), and get used to how much they weigh right after they've been watered and right when the leaves start to droop. You may get to a point where you don't need to let the leaves droop - you can tell by the relative lightness of the pot that a plant will need watering.

ok that could be my issue then what i did was take 13 5 gallon buckets and i connected seven of them using gaskets and tubing then i took the remaining six buckets drilled a few holes in the bottom i used these for my plants then set these six into the seven connected buckets using the seventh to water as gravity would carry water to the rest of the buckets. the moister was at 9 early on which i know is way to high its currently at 5 which is still to high i know but i haven't watered them in 4 months the watering bucket is empty so i'm just waiting now to keep the moisture at about 2-3 which is what i read to be optimal for chiles.

If you are going to bring these to fruit inside, 600w is about minimum lighting.
You need about 3000 lumens/square foot of plant canopy and full-grown chile plants have 5-8 square feet in the plant canopy.

Back