induction range

Anyone have any info on using induction ranges? I wasn't aware, but now that I have it and installed I just realized I can't use all my existing pots and pans?

I got a flat top a little over a year ago and went through that to a degree. I was looking at induction until a friend told me of his "Great Pot and Pan Exchange"....The technology behind the stove is nice though. The pots and pans basically have to be magnetic. So take a magnet with you when shopping for new cookware and don't set your hand on it if you have a ring on.

Thanks for the tips. Yeah I'm doing some research on the pans now. Luckily all my cast iron will still work and I do have a lot of stainless steel pans already so it's not a huge loss. Just a few pieces that won't work.

What I didn't realize is I can actually put a piece of paper or a thin towel between the top of the stove and the pan to avoid scratches and spills. Because the range doesn't heat up at all it doesn't matter. I think I'm going to cover the entire store with a towel whenever I fry anything to avoid a big cleanup mess.

Keep in mind the towel will be heated by the pan sitting on it and will still burn that way..
I may be wrong, but as I understand it the pot can only get as hot as the boiling point of the contents of the pan.
So I think your tea towels will be safe.

I am considering getting an induction range for my new house, I know that my existing cookware will be ok but how do they compare with gas?
I saw a stupid expensive induction wok burner a while ago so it makes me wonder if the ones a normal person can afford are any good,
I don't want to have to re-learn how to cook just to save a few Euros.

Ok after cooking on it for a week a couple of things I've found out so far.

1. A towel (including paper) doesn't burn at all if used under a pan. I used a standard paper towel between the pan and the stove and even after 30 min of boiling pasta the towel only got slightly warm. I used the same paper towel under a frying pan for bacon and eggs breakfast and because the temp of the frying pan was a lot hotter I noticed a slight browning on the towel, but even after cooking the entire breakfast it didn't burn. The big plus was being able to take that towel with a little grease from the bacon off and toss it and not have to clean the stove was amazing.

2. This thing heats water / sauce AMAZINGLY fast. I could put a cup of water on the stove and put it on the highest setting and that cold water would get to a rolling boil in about 45 seconds. Several quarts only took a few minutes.

3. It's VERY responsive to change in temps. I can go from High to Low in a matter of seconds so when doing a sauce I can get it to a boil fast and drop it to a simmer even faster.

4. When I use both burners on a side I noticed that it "pulses" between the 2 burners. It's like they share 1 control and that controller pulses the back then the front. I haven't noticed any performance issues when I use both burners and they are just as responsive, but just something to note.

5. All pans are not created equal. Some pans seems to have a "hummmm" from the magnetic field when you use them and it can be a bit annoying. Also some pans don't heat food as fast as others. I noticed a smaller thinner Stainless Steel pan would take longer to boil 3 cups of water then a heavier pan took. (Yes I measured water and timed how fast each pan took to get it to a rolling boil).

All in all i've very happy with the stove so far. It does take some getting used to because things cook a lot faster, but I really like it a lot more than gas so far. Plus I noticed when using all 4 burners the kitchen doesn't get hot at all so I don't get sweat in my risotto when re-enacting hell's kitchen.

On a side note the oven also has a 3 fan convection so baking will probably be a lot easier as well.

Nice to know for the next time I am getting a stove. 1.5 years ago I got a flat-top to replace my old standard stove. Clean up is easy, but boiling water takes forever.

Wow!
Appreciate the feedback. My new house has no mains gas or electric, and I will have to rely on solar and bottled gas, if I can eliminate the gas I will be a happy bunny.
One thing I read recently is that some induction hobs can also be set to cook at a certain temperature, (probably just software) and that must make deep frying so much easier.

Well mine isn't controlled by a temp setting just 1-10, but i'm getting the hang of it. I have noticed temps actually vary a lot by the thickness of the pans. My thick pan seems to get a LOT hotter on the same setting then my very thin tall quart pan. I suppose since it uses a magnetic field the thicker the pan the better the magnetic field?

Back