Infused alcohol and vinegars

Been making a fresh chili kinda margrita in our bar. Tequila, fresh fatalii or similar, fresh basil, suryp, either fresh watermelon, orange or grapefruit juice.  Clients seem to love it so have decided to infuse some tequilas for using. First off is Fatalii as that is what I have. Will do a regular red habanero ( chombo locally)and what we think is some kind of bird pepper, small and fiery. Once my grow starts producing will do a range of tequilas, vodkas, gins and rums all infused with various peppers.

Some recipe ideas I have using what we grow here are:

White rum/Ginger/Fatalli
Vodka/lemongrass/??
Gin/Basil/??
Vodka/Rosemary/Smokey type pepper??
Vodka/Lavendar/??
Gin/ginger/lemongrass/??

Any suggestions welcome..

Also have gallons of various vinegar's that we will also be infusing.

Fun times ahead.

Basil should go with a green pepper IMO, maybe just Jalapeño because that's what people know but green Habs would also work.
Lemongrass is commonly paired with Cayenne but I think the vodka and lemongrass one would also go great with Bhuts if you're willing to go that hot. You could always shorten the infusion time if it's too much.
Ginger wants a chilli that's fruity like a red Jalapeño but maybe a bit hotter, not fruity in that chinense way though. Fatalii is more of a citrus fruitiness, which some ghosts also possess, but that works too.
Lavendar IDK.

My wife wants me to infuse some of my jalapeños in vodka here soon! I'm definitely interested to see what others are doing!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I just threw my last Fatalii pod into some cheap tequila I had, see what happens...Just tried it after a couple of days, lovely soft burn in throat and stomach. I think it will get better with time and maybe a couple more pods.

Let's see, with your combinations how would I play with them:

White rum/Ginger/Fatalli ok though I prefer a dark rum

Vodka/lemongrass/to me his is screaming for a Thai Hot pepper. Just something about it screams Asian. Match it with Passion Fruit for a cocktail.

Gin/Basil/ not a big Gin fan so this one is difficult. I think the Basil would do better with Vodka where the Juniper flavor won't overpower it. Rosemary I think would be a better match as a Gin/Rosemary/Smoked Jalapeno, not a Chipotle in Adobo album a good Jalapeno smoked for a couple hours over Apple or Cherry.

For Basil
Vodka/Basil/Lemongrass/Datil, use a good sweet Basil in this that will match nicely with the sweet notes of the Datil.

Good Vanilla infused Vodka/Lavendar/Datil or a Habanero will work well in this.

Gin/ginger/lemongrass/Wild Tepins again not a big Gin fan so difficult.

So what about

Vodka/Bacon/Habanero or Jalapeno mix with a Tomato Water for a spicy Bloody Mary Cocktail

Just some thoughts, you'll have to play around with some combinations and see what your customers like of course.

Cheers

Thanks for the suggestions, really appreciate it. Much food for thought..

White rum came from the Jamaican recipe, I think its subtle flavour has something to do with it. Will definitely try with dark rum as well. The local rum Abuelo is good and cheap at $5 a bottle, so experiments are not too costly.

Agreed...anything with lemon grass will always lean towards an Asian twist. So Thai or other Southeastern Asian varieties. I just ordered a few Thai varieties. Passion fruit we are growing so yes, yes and yes.

Like the idea of rosemary with the gin and a smoked pepper, just planted a load more rosemary. We do not have cherry or apple here but we have plenty of pine which might work?

Constructing a smoker is on the list and could definitely have a lot of fun with that and chillies.

I just sowed 5 different types of Basil, so should have one that is sweet enough.

We do not do meat up here so bacon might be off, would soya work? jeje

On a side note made some Kambucha scoby jerky last year and it was pretty damn good, look forward to doing again but with much more chilli influence this time.

Back on track, we have an awesome pineapple vinegar that is begging for some heat...answers on a postcard

NO!!!! Don't smoke with Pine!!!!!
​Well, unless you really enjoy the flavor of Turpentine  :)

Here's a little resource for smoking woods that I like to use.

jpg001_zps2ve27aci.jpg

jpg002_zpssmjhmiaq.jpg

jpg003_zpsy3wvblzm.jpg

jpg004_zpshumnnpjg.jpg

jpg005_zpsbrodq3ir.jpg

Ah yes I knew there was a reason we have not used the pine for something similar to this in the past, I did look it up and go the same response, getting old! Great resource. We have plenty of citrus trees, many that have passed the point of no return so will be using orange, grapefruit, lime, nectarine, satsuma....Mostly Lime have around 30-40 that have been neglected over the last 15 years and I dont see them making it.

Back