• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Infused vodka/tequila

Siv

Extreme Member
A bunch of friends tried my hot sauces over the weekend and a few of them asked if I had tried vodka or gin infusions. I haven't.

I have a few of fatalii and lemon jalapenos on the plants which are ripe and fresh and was wondering how I go about infusing? Just poke holes in them and stick in the bottle? How many do I use?

Any advice gratefully received!

Siv said:
A bunch of friends tried my hot sauces over the weekend and a few of them asked if I had tried vodka or gin infusions. I haven't.

I have a few of fatalii and lemon jalapenos on the plants which are ripe and fresh and was wondering how I go about infusing? Just poke holes in them and stick in the bottle? How many do I use?

Any advice gratefully received!

A quick THP search turned up.>Ramon’s Spiked Cooking Sherry & Rum

I searched for vodka! Should have searched for sherry :)

My main concern is that some googling has thrown up a bunch of recipes which suggest putting the pods in for a max of a week. Give that these are likely not chili-heads, I was debating if I should do it longer. Or even indefinitely. But I also don't want to end up with undrinkable sauce!

I would prob do vodka because gin is basically infused vodka. Peppers would prob overpower anything in gin but might be worth a try if you really like gin. I’ve done vodkas and crappy tequilas. I just halve the pods and put in indefinitely. Had a batch in my fridge, 23 7 pod jonahs in a bottle, gave it to a coworker for his 21st birthday. He had a pretty rough night lol. Bottles I keep I usually use for bloody Mary’s, bull shots, and stuff.

Siv said:
I searched for vodka! Should have searched for sherry :)
I've learned that common words pull up too many "hits" to wade through. I use a word that "fits" the search criteria but limits the number of posts that fit.... so I used infuse.

Siv said:
My main concern is that some googling has thrown up a bunch of recipes which suggest putting the pods in for a max of a week. Give that these are likely not chili-heads, I was debating if I should do it longer. Or even indefinitely. But I also don't want to end up with undrinkable sauce!
I'd wait for others to chime in but my vote is - leave the peppers in until the vodka is gone then eat the peppers!

Reactions: Siv
I actually did this last night, but waiting to try it with my co-workers after work.
I read an article stating to leave the peppers in for 15 minutes. Hour max as anything after an hour it doesn't get any hotter. Not sure how true it is.
I only made a small sample size, used one ghost that I cut in half with seeds and all left in. Strained it with a coffee filter into a bottle.

After I strained it I threw in an orange liquor and splash of lime juice just to add a flavor other than pepper/vodka.

Reactions: Siv
A long time ago a Russian buddy of mine suggested that I put a few dry Thai chilis in a bottle of vodka.  He said I should drink some to help clear my head when I've got a cold.  I can tell you it works. I think I put 6 or 8 in a 750 mL bottle.  It's kind of tasty.  I just leave the peppers in the bottle.  

You're going to need to boil the pepper for 5 min to kill any nasties or potential nasties as alcohol will only kill a percentage, then just drop that baby in and leave it in there.

The largest "batch" of 'this' I have done is half pint mason jars.

and this is where the short story begins ,,,

back when "ghost peppers" were the thing, I decided to make infused;  Ghost Pepper Vodka  :doh:

1 month of infusion with an occasional shaking one - two times per week.

a buddy of mine happened to be having a surprise birthday party during the same week i started sampling it...

oh boy  :!:   :evil:   :rofl: 

I don't remember an exact count, but i topped, and put as many full peppers in that jar as i would have if canning them  :lol: 
anyway, it made for an awesome experience for anyone i knew that was a chilihead already
(everyone else at that bonfire party that nigh,t that got talked into taking a fire shot for the birthday host at his own surprise party, I feel bad for them :neutral: )
I had tried it multiple times over several weeks mixed with multiple things beforehand. and i knew it was  :hot: even for me  :shocked: 

it was back when THP had a live chat feature that i met someone whose name i at this very time cannot remember  :think:
who suggested that I try that ghost pepper Vodka with Vanilla Coke  :think: 
Well shit, i hadn't even thought about sweetening it up yet, my first thought was to use in Bloody Mary's (which it was excellent in, after making the next batch)

Now typically i don't like Coke, or Pepsi for that matter, unless i am having it served mixed with liquor.
(a Havana club and Coke will never be turned down by me :) ) there are a few other Rums i will drink mixed or with a soda to sip afterwards as well
but i would probably have never even thought to mix Vodka and Coke/Vanilla Coke if not for talking to whomever she was in Chat (ghost -something in her name )
 Anyway, Ghost-Vodka is very good in colas.
i would probably even try it with Dr. Pepper if offered to me :D

:cheers: 

Back