• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce Input regarding super hot sauces

I recently picked up a bottle of the Sancto Scorpion product put out by the good folks at the Chili Pepper Institute.

The kids expected it to melt our faces off; I was hoping for something with major punch....but it didn't really deliver the goods. Good flavor, medium heat.

We've had a bottle of Dave's Ghost Pepper hot sauce in the fridge for a while now, which I've read is rated at about 650k SHU. This is the hottest sauce I've ever put my mouth to. I can't do more than about 3 droplets without entering into fits of hiccups. It's the reigning king in our house.

I want to experiment more. I'm not looking for something at 2 mill SHUs or anything crazy like that, we aren't trying to impress anyone.

But I'm curious about some recommendations on something that is going to deliver that same level of heat as the Dave's Ghost. I can't honestly do 5-10 drops. I've tried and every time start hiccuping like a mad man.

I've never had Dave's Ghost sauce so I can't really contest to how hot that is. A few good and hot superhot sauces out there are

Knepper'speppers- Tongue Wrapper
Cappy's-Brain Strain (fermented sauce)

(Tried both above)

I've heard Skobyian by The Hippy Seed Company is supposed to be pretty hot.

Tobasco is a good example of a fermented sauce. It doesn't need to be refrigerated to stay fresh.

Edit: Dave's Ghost Pepper sauce is really a terrible way to get heat. While it's somewhat hot, the flavor is ummmmm.... ;)

Does the daves give you stomach cramps like extracts do for a lot of people?

I would not know because I'm not insane like a lot of the people around here. But it's no joke...a single droplet lights you up pretty good.

Like I said, I've seen websites claiming it's about 650 SHU, and I'll believe it. Gives everyone hiccups, sticks around for quite a while.

I'm sure extracts and super hot powders etc etc etc. gives cramps but I'm not going to chug the Ghost and find out if it does as well.

Dave's Ghost is a helluva lot better than any other extract based sauce I've had. Most just taste like pure extract, but that one has a delicious Naga flavor to it, and is absolutely brutal heat level. I've had all of Blair's except Ultra/Jersey Death, and I'd say that the Mega Death or Sudden Death would probably come close to the Dave's Ghost sauce, but they taste so much worse like extract, that I don't know if I would recommend them other than to try them once. I gave all my extract sauces away except my Dave's Ghost, and CaJohns Frostbite, since I like those reasonably well, and don't know if I would get any more extract sauces after Blair's or Dave's Insanity.

I've heard glaringly positive reviews from many people on The Hippy Seed Company's Skobiyan and Yellow 7 Turkey Slap sauces, which are both brutal, and tasty as hell, from what I hear!

Thx for the input Hendrix 1326.

So I guess I am not insane in thinking the Dave's brings some serious punch to the table?

I'll have to procure some of those others you mention. I have a couple of the CaJohns purees (Fatalii and Red Savina.) I completely love them. Pretty good heat, more than the Scorp. which I thought was going to be heavy duty.

CaJohn's Scorpion sauce is pretty good. Not insanely hot, but it has a pretty good kick to it. I am not a fan of extract sauces, so I am always on the lookout for non-extracts that bring on a good level of heat. I just recently dumped all but one of my extracts... the one I kept is for chili, and torturing friends. :D

As I have said several times before... now that we have pods that are >1,000,000 SHU, I find no need to keep extracts around. I dislike the bitter/metallic flavor... I see them as more of a novelty item. Some people love them, and more power to them. Just not my cup of tea.

Wow - so good timing for this topic. I just received my end of a trade from Puckerbutt in the mail - a bottle of their "I Dare You Stupit" sauce.

I just took a sniff and was greeted with a sharp, yet dangerous smelling aroma. Put about 2-3 drops on my finger and licked it. Holycrap! My tongue, lips and back of the throat are burning with white hot fire. Wow this is hot!

It says it's rated at 1.4 million SHU's, and is "one of Ed's experimental capsaicin amalgams" - Ingredients listed as "Organic Peppers, Fruits, Vegatables, Spices, Vinegar"

That is one hot SOB. My lip is positively on fire still. For a non-extract this is one of the hottest I've ever had. There's a sharpness from the vinegar at first, but otherwise this is liquid fire. If you're looking for a non-extract that'll burn you up but good, this is a good candidate. Wow ow ow ow ow ow.
http://puckerbuttpep...-sauce-on-sale/

I have to admit - this will be good for heating up a batch of chili, but the only time it'll be eaten straight is if I'm messing with one of my friends. haha

Dave's Ghost is a helluva lot better than any other extract based sauce I've had. Most just taste like pure extract, but that one has a delicious Naga flavor to it, and is absolutely brutal heat level. I've had all of Blair's except Ultra/Jersey Death, and I'd say that the Mega Death or Sudden Death would probably come close to the Dave's Ghost sauce, but they taste so much worse like extract, that I don't know if I would recommend them other than to try them once. I gave all my extract sauces away except my Dave's Ghost, and CaJohns Frostbite, since I like those reasonably well, and don't know if I would get any more extract sauces after Blair's or Dave's Insanity.

I agree that the taste is good for an extract sauce - I think this may be because the ghost pepper ha a strong flavor. And it doesn't upset my stomach. I also like Blair's after death for a good taste even though it uses extract.

But I'm curious about some recommendations on something that is going to deliver that same level of heat as the Dave's Ghost. I can't honestly do 5-10 drops. I've tried and every time start hiccuping like a mad man.

Well on another post I am asking others to "rank" Dave's Ghost along with Mad Dog 357, and Mad Dog 357 Ghost on heat alone. According to the "claimed" schoville, Dave's - 650k Mad Dog 357 - 357k Mad Dog 357 Ghost 190k but I think Mad Dog 357 is the hottest with the two ghost versions being similar but not as hot. Also, I feel the Mad Dog in my gut, which I never realized, is probably the extract. The other two don't bother me that way. But back to your question, these are the three hottest I have ever used, and I don't think any of them have that "chemical" taste. I think Blair's Sudden death is in this range also but I have never tried it. I think these are at my ceiling, I don't think I would try anything hotter.

The Mad Dog 357 Ghost has a unique but good taste. I like it on beef more than chicken, but it can really can bite back.

When I first got the mad dog 357, I definitely misjudged it and just started pouring it over an order of wings (probably without shaking it too). By the 2nd wing I knew was in serious trouble, had to go straight to wawa and get some ice cream. But I did finish the wings :)

I recommend trying Mauvais Sang. It's my favourite sauce by far in terms of taste and it's also the hottest non-extract sauce I've ever tasted.

Back