• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

video Insane bhut jolokia video

I've read they chew nagas on hot days in that part of the world to help cool themselves...

This woman holds record 60 :o

I wonder what the point of the eye rubbing record was?

Robisburning said:
I hadn't seen that before, thanks for posting.  I understand a given % of the worlds population don't have capsaicin receptors, that might explain a thing or 2 in this case..
really? thats amazing i had no idea but im pretty sure they can feel it on its way out lol

I found this which is kinda interesting:

TRPV1 is a cation channel which is activated by temperature (≥42 °C) and capsaicin. In the present study, we found a person with total insensitivity to capsaicin and attempted to unravel its causes. The expression levels of TRPV1 protein and mRNA in the cells of the person's buccal mucosa were less than half of those in a normal subject. Sequential analysis of mRNA and genomic DNA revealed several point mutations mostly in the second intron of the person's TRPV1. Interestingly, the subject showed hypersensitivity to garlic extract, but TRPA1 (allicin receptor) level was normal. These results suggest that the decreased expression of TRPV1 may be related to a functional knock out in capsaicin sensation and hypersensitivity to allicin in humans.

From

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0304394006011670

Essentially if you have the mutation you would be immune to capsaicin and would have the least useful superpower in the world.

I don't want to take credit away from this woman. I have an Indonesian friend who cooks with chilli in almost everything but has never tried anything hotter then a birds eye, I gave her an orange habanero to try. After chewing on it for a good minute before swallowing all she says was "very sweet" lol. She was showing no signs of somebody who had just consumed a very hot pepper, I asked if it was hot enough and her reply was "it's ok but not to hot for me".

The northeast part of India consume's more chillies annually then anywhere else on the planet. This area also happens to be where the naga originated from. I guess it's possible over time the woman in the video might have built an exceptional tollerance up to the naga... Goodness knows how many she must have eaten for that to happen though.??

Regarding the receptor in the mouth, I remember reading in the past its an enzyme or similar that activates them and that you can deplete or become tollereny to certain levels of this through frequent exposure.

Just plain crazy putting in her eyes!!! And yes I too wonder how it effects her internally and when all those nagas exit the other end heheh

A friend of mine has malfunction receptors. He can eat any hot food. He never get the burn, running eyes, sneezing.... But he does get the hiccups. Thats how he can tell if its hot or not. And he do get stomach issues when eating too hot or too much tho

Back