• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Internal Proliferation

Not sure if any of you have encountered something like this on/in your peppers. While eating a Fresno pepper, I found another pepper within the pepper. The phenomenon is known as internal proliferation and is an inheritable trait. Thought it was neat and wanted to share it with you all.

Attachments

• D495A6D2-8B4D-4445-ACF6-3259DFEF31EA.jpeg
    D495A6D2-8B4D-4445-ACF6-3259DFEF31EA.jpeg
    91.7 KB · Views: 124
  • A36F5F43-DF59-4CE6-92D2-42027D0CA7E6.jpeg
    A36F5F43-DF59-4CE6-92D2-42027D0CA7E6.jpeg
    49.9 KB · Views: 108
karoo said:
Yes it happens , cool !
Saving seeds I see? :party:

It's the first that I have encountered, but from your reply, I guess it happens more often than I thought. Seemed weird at first and I mistook it for some sort of grub/pest. Yes, I am saving seeds! The plant was a great producer of quality size peppers. 

Thanks for your input. 

BDASPNY said:
ive seen it often, but the habanada I grew last year had the highest rate of it ive ever seen.
So yours had multiple within a pepper? That sounds awesome! Did you happen to save seeds from it? Have you seen it happen again? From my quick Google search, it appears that it will happen again as it is an inheritable trait. 

Thanks!

RedHotChiliPeppers said:
So yours had multiple within a pepper? That sounds awesome! Did you happen to save seeds from it? Have you seen it happen again? From my quick Google search, it appears that it will happen again as it is an inheritable trait. 

Thanks!

I didn't grow them again this year. just one over wintered plant.  I would say it was at least 1 out of every dozen or more had it happen.

I did save seeds from them, but didn't separate the regular from the irregular.

BDASPNY said:
ive seen it often, but the habanada I grew last year had the highest rate of it ive ever seen.

In reading through this site, Have you ever found a pepper inside a pepper?, it reports:

Plant breeders, who consider this anomaly undesirable, keep an eye out for it when selecting for new cultivars, because the trait is inheritable.

Which would help understand your high incidence rate....

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:

In reading through this site, Have you ever found a pepper inside a pepper?, it reports:

Plant breeders, who consider this anomaly undesirable, keep an eye out for it when selecting for new cultivars, because the trait is inheritable.

Which would help understand your high incidence rate....

I'm hoping to double my harvest by only cultivating these types of peppers. When my plant has 20 peppers, in actuality, I will have 40!  :party:

Back