seed-train International Seed Train

PLEASE READ THE GUIDELINES FOR THIS SEED TRAIN BELOW THE PASSENGER LIST AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS POST

NOTE: "Boarding Passes" for this train are no longer "on sale". The train is closed for this particular journey (as of May 26, 2012). If you'd like to be an alternate or get on the train next time, please let us know!

Planned route for the first run:

Eephus Man (with a lot of help from cory_huck and capsidadburn) (Austin, TX) - Departure on May 30, 2012
windchicken (Louisiana) - Arrival on June 2, 2012
jsschrstrcks (Florida) - Arrival on June 7, 2012
Marclocas (Québec)
tucabail (Brasil)
indoChilli (Java)
Scuba_spice (Sulawesi)
nee (Victoria)
TheFanMan (Victoria)
Peakey (Queensland)
Meso (New South Wales)
iziko (Israel)
liavah (Israel)
MisterNo (Croatia)
HabaneroHead (Hungary)
Ak4722 (Austria)
Beehunter (Switzerland)
chilifaninspain (Spain)
Johnaton (Belgium)
orrevs (Sweeden)
dogshow (United Kingdom) - Pending Confirmation
bushwackxj (British Columbia)
nate6279 (California)
Argflores (California) - Pending Confirmation
Pash (California)
HwyBill (Illinois)
Greenhouse4green (Illinois)
Eephus Man (Texas)/demonpepper (Mexico)

Borne of a different thread about Padron peppers in Spain, I wanted to open up the discussion of feasibility and interest in an international seed train.

The idea would be simple...

To share as many "local" or "rare" varietals with folks around the world as possible. At first, I'd like to start an accumulation phase in North America and add on anything we can to send to Europe. If we think we can do it logistically, we might then add on Australia, SE Asia and South Africa as possible locations.

I'd like to hear ideas for redundancy when the package is about to travel to a new region, too, in the case of an overeager customs agent trying to earn his/her pay.

Also, if there are laws strictly prohibiting such things in your country, would love for you to out yourself as well. :)

All ears. Hoping to get this started in about a month and hopefully run it till at least late 2012 so it gets a full go 'round the globe.

Aiming to get 3-5 people per region, with a cap of about 30-35 total. We'll see how that goes...

I'm okay with hearing "no", too, if folks don't think it'll work.

This is WAY better than having a pen pal, though. Even in prison, which is where some of you belong! :)

Participants Listed Alphabetically by Country/Region:

Asia (Southeast)

indoChilli (Indonesia)
Scuba_spice (Indonesia)

Australia

Meso (NSW)
nee (Victoria)
Peakey (Queensland)
TheFanMan (Victoria)

Israel

iziko
liavah

Europe

Ak4722 (Austria)
Beehunter (Switzerland)
chilifaninspain (Spain)
dogshow (UK)
HabaneroHead (Hungary)
Johnaton (Belgium)
MisterNo (Croatia)
orrevs (Sweeden)

Mexico

demonpepper (Jalisco)

South America

tucabail (Brasil)

North America (East) - CLOSED (until further notice)

Eephus Man (Texas)
hixs (Virginia)
jsschrstrcks (Florida)
Marclocas (Québec)
windchicken (Louisiana)

North America (West)

bushwackxj (British Columbia)
Argflores (California)
nate6279 (California)
Pash (California)
HwyBill (Illinois)
Greenhouse4green (Illinois)

------------------------------------------------------
THP International Seed Train Guidelines

Mission

The goal of this seed train is to travel around the globe and provide the train's participants with pepper seeds (as many local varieties from participants as possible), information, and entertainment in both the progress of the train, and the conversation about its whereabouts and contents.

Your Obligation As A Rider

There are two “golden rules” that will NOT change on this train:
  1. If at ANY TIME, you feel you cannot fulfill your obligation to the train, you MUST let us know. You will have an opportunity to re-board the train later, but please do not derail the train by over committing yourself. Please be honest (even if the train has already left, it can be diverted), and all will be well. Please don't ruin this for everyone else.
  2. If you are boarding this train ONLY to receive the most free seed possible, then PLEASE exit now. THP is FULL of folks that will send you free seed. I'll PERSONALLY send you free seed, if you want it. But to dead-end the train, horde seed, or disappear with the package(s) altogether isn't useful to anyone. The success of the train depends on ALL its riders!

Okay, now that those are out of the way, if you're still with us, keep reading. Here's how it works.

Riders

The seed train is currently accepting a limited number of riders for it's maiden journey. We are trying to include a healthy representation from each continent. If you don't make the cut the first round, we will take a waitlist, and you may be able to hop on board the second time around.

Our total number of riders will be limited to between 30-35, worldwide. This number is to keep things fairly manageable. Should things run smoothly the first voyage, we may add to our rider cap as the train chugs along.

Once you receive the package, please try very hard to have the package back on its way within 48 postal hours (or ASAP given your post situation). If you won't be able to turn the package around in that time, please let us all know on the forum. We'd rather know the package is slightly delayed than wonder where it is.

Obviously, we'll have to have your postal address in order to keep the train going. However, we also want to respect your privacy. All addresses will be included via private message to members of the seed train, but will not be shared publicly on the forum.

However, we do want you to share your general city location as we'd like to map the route visually online and share it here, if we can find a program that will accommodate us.

Seed Additions/Removals

Please never remove more seed from the train than you give. In fact, for the first round, please try and add at least 50% more seed than what you take. We want to build the offerings on the train and not deplete them.

For the first half-dozen or so participants on the train, please add as generously as you can. Remember that when it comes back to you, you should have quite a selection to choose from.

Route(s)

We will do what we can to route the train so that it's journey prioritizes timelines for countries that are nearer to their grow season. However, due to a necessarily flexible schedule, you may not always receive seed in time to begin your grow as you wish.

Do not depend on seed making it to you in time.

Please note that riders last in line in one location, that send the package on to another country/region, may have additional postage costs associated with the package. Please agree that you'll be willing and able to afford these costs. The train will try and alternate the “last stop” riders during each trip in order to better spread the financial load.

The goal here is to do at least two round trips of the train. At that point in time, we will decide whether it will be worth it to pursue additional trips.

Wishlist

As each rider adds/removes seed from the train, they should document it in the thread. If riders at future stops would like to reserve a particular type of seed, they should state so in the forum thread. Please be courteous to requests from future stops and do not exhaust the seed supply unless you too have requested that type of seed.

Packaging/Labeling

There are two important things to remember when you are packing (or re-packing) seeds for the train.

The first is that you'll want to pack your seeds so that they are protected from the elements, and specifically water. Sealed plastic bags are a MUST, and preferably the type that are the appropriate size for the amount of seeds you'll be enclosing. Please use the smallest bags you can find that will still fit the seeds and label comfortably. We want to be efficient as the train grows!

The second important thing is to label the seeds accurately. Please include at least the following (if available) when you label:

Common Name(s)
Source (Commercial business name or individual)
Year of Harvest/Purchase
If self-saved, please indicate if the seed was isolated or not (it'll be okay to include some non-isolated seed, but please label it as such so that passengers may “take the risk” knowingly).

If you don't have some of this information, that's okay, but please include as much as possible.

And finally, please include whatever label you use INSIDE the packaging with the seed. Many times outside labeling can become wet, worn, torn, or lost. If the label is inside the seed bag, it is as safe as the seed!

Please use padded envelopes whenever possible. Boxes are more likely to be searched at some border stops, and envelopes are more likely to make their way through unmolested.

Potential Derailments

Since this is an international endeavo(u)r, there is the possibility of derailment at various border crossing/customs points. Please know that if you sign on, there is a possibility for disappointment. We think that the train can make it! That's why we're trying it out. But please help the whole group to be as safe and responsible as you can in packing/handling and shipping of the seeds.

And finally, if you KNOW you will be violating any laws in your home country, please let us know and do not sign on for the train experience. We certainly do not want to land anyone in hot water through an exercise that is meant to be fun and educational.

Thanks for reading and welcome aboard!!

Im down for an international seed train. Would love to get some cool varieties from Mexico and every country south :P. Plus would love some stuff from the Mediterranean countries. Keep me posted :dance:

Hey there,
We already spoke about International Seed Train,
The only problem we have got is the local customs that may hijack the package, to avoid that we most use envalopes, never boxs.

In the mid time of the season, 1-2 month from now, in July we most start the train worldwide.
The first in line most have atlease 20 kind of chilis for this train to run as it shoul be, I'm sure that in this time everyone who grows peppers will have some to add the train, we most avoid leechers,

another idea, the main issue with worldwide train are the delivery times, I suggust that the train rails will be by countries, for example: if i'm second in line and iziko is 4th in line, its will not be smart if i will send the train to UK and someone over there will send it back to Israel, because I'm from Israel, I think the best is to send inside the country and the last one in the country will send it to the other and go on, it will save time and reduce the chances of being hijack from the customs.

I think we sould start orginaize the Train in the next month, Users, Countries, Cities and so and than sort the perfect order of stations.

Will help with the idea,
Liav.

Thanks for the interest so far, y'all. I think I'm going to try and solicit from certain areas of the U.S. and then plot a path to the rest of the world that eventually lands us back on the west coast. A circumnavigation, properly.

I'll get a plan together, post it, take feedback, and then start recruiting. :)

If you know others throughout Europe, please PM them and see if they're interested. I have just sent messages to a few others around the globe.

U.S. will be easy, as will Australia. Would love to find a few in Africa/ME/Asia, then send it down to Aussieland and back across the pond to either SA or Western U.S.

What a great idea, could i get in in this train? have cabe rawit, cabe merah, cabe gendot also sichuan pepper for trade. I have received, seed's, flakes, powder, so i think it's safe sending some here, not like people thought of.

PS:How about each country have their own coordinator, so only 1 person is in charge for the whole distribution on their country, also the seed dont have to be on that country to long, because the coordinator have taken the seed that needed for the whole country and away the train goes, just my two cent.

thx
firditra sw

I'd love to get in on this, sounds like a brilliant idea!

I'm located in Belgium so we don't really have a lot of "local" peppers, I'm growing 15 varieties this year though so I'd be happy to add seeds from all of them later this year.
We'll need a decent system to make this work though, there's all sorts of risks as you said, customs might snatch them or even some a-hole who decides he'll keep all of the seeds, how do you plan on counteracting these situations?
I also think it's quite important that people participating are quite aware of the importance of preventing cross-polination in peppers so the varieties being shared are true to their breed.

Hello friends.

Eric the initiative is very interesting and commendable.
But we have to think a bit more about it.
Let's analyze some details.

This train can take more than one year going from house to house.
All who will participate should be aware that they can not stay with the train more than one day. For the longer he stand it will take longer to get to another destination.
All must commit that they will send the train in new envelope with bubbles. I've seen many people posting seeds without any care, and arrived all broken.

During this initial stage to make very clear rules that everyone understands that by participating in the train are assuming a great responsibility for their content.

Take into consideration the local climate of the region that will be getting the train, running a logistics that meets the regions where the climate is favorable for planting.

There are many details to think about. Please make slow but well done.

Make a small register of participants where they can tell the best time to receive the seeds, always in the spring.
Example: here in Brazil I would prefer to receive between August /September. Our summer starts in December and I would startgermination in greenhouses in August / September.

You can think of where an order will take between 30/45 to get in each country. In each country within the train moves faster, depending on the country size between 5 and 15 days.
Go slowly and thinking about organizing everything.
You can count on me!

I'm in this train!

A big hug.
Tuca

Thanks, Tuca!! And I will definitely consider as many variables as possible before the train "shoves off". I already have a redundancy system in place for potential customs issues, as well as a "how to" for packing and sending seeds safely and discreetly.

I'll do my best to try and time the train to get to each region in time for plantings, but that will admittedly be much harder because of unknown timelines when travelling between countries/continents.

I also intend to include a simple text document that will get e-mailed along to library what is in the train and what has been taken, as well as favorite requests. e.g. Argflores would like some Padron seed. And so on...

Still stewing on it, but rest assured I will post a "system" and then take another round of feedback on routing/logistics before we send.

If it makes anyone more at ease, I have been an event organizer/television producer/business owner for many years of my life, so I'm used to planning. :)

Thanks so much for coming on board, y'all! I think this'll be a blast!

Cool idea, Eric. It could be really cool, or not, but the worst that could happen is that we would be out a few seeds...

Sign me up. The only seeds I've really got right now are Congo Trinidad, some Yellow Devil's Tongue, and maybe a few Trinidad Scorpions...I believe I may have a baggie of air-dried Guampinha de Veado pods laying around somewhere.

I just remembered I've got a nice bag of Thai Garden Bird Seed seeds, too. So, yeah, this could be a thing...

Gary

Tucabail is right,
with good orginaize it will be AWESOME train!

and I'm in, not in: ? :)

Train most leave first station with about 10-20 kind of chilis.

Thanks!

Back