• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Internodal distance

My grow light supports 1 row of 10 pots directly under the light. I always place a second row a few inches behind the first. I think I found a pattern: The plants directly under the light are tall, but only with a few leaves at the top. The ones on the second row have many more leaves and are shorter. Is this due to more horizontal light saturation? Can somebody explain the science here.

Actually that sounds just the opposite to what I always thought as normal. Usually the farther away a plant is from the main light source the fewer leaves and taller it gets. Plants become leggy as they are stretching to the light. When the light is close or right on top of the plant it usually promotes a shorter,compact plant with more leaves/branches. Odd.

Are they different varieties of chiles? Some grow more bushy than others. It doesn't make sense that they would grow bushier further from the light source, so it sounds like it's genes.

Maybe randlomly I have been placing certain breeds on the back row. I'll try and be more scientific about it next year.

The light is hitting more of the whole inside canopy of the plant and not just the top so it will get bushier rather then taller. Its the same if you use side lighting to encouage bushiness. I used to tip my plants at an angle and rotate them as they grew towards the light to encouage bushiness and it worked quite well

Potawe,

Thanks for the clarity. In my last post was, I was bowing to the peer pressure and believing something that didn't appear to be true.

Back