intro from So Cal :)

I wanted to do a proper intro and say hi rather than just showing up in threads and expecting that to do it.
My name is Gordon Cheek and I live in Bakersfield Ca. This makes for great growing weather plus My family and I run a cooled and heated greenhouse. They love all forms of Bonsai while I grow just about anything that is cool or unusual. At the moment we have half of the grrenhouse loaded with Cork Oak Acorns that have sprouted beutifuly this springtime. Needles to say it looks like a little forrest in there. Bet there is about 500-1000 or more will have to look.
My specialty for the family I that I grow things well.... So i've been told :) I am the one that understands organics and I also can work with chemical fertilizers as well although I only use them in totaly closed circuits. Once the solution is old I will evaporate it and collect the salts and dispose of it that way.
I am close to a local organic dealer(within 300miles) http://www.groworganic.com/fertilizers/organic-fertilizer/powdered-fertilizer.html?dir=desc&limit=120&order=price I tend to want to order my components in 50 lb bags because its more economical that way plus they tend to last at least one year. I had one order from them feed the whole yard wich is a LOT for 2.5 yrs.
For yrs my step father fead all his Four Winds Dwarf Citrus chemical ferts and at bes they were ok. I came in and started feeding heavily with Bonemeal,Blood meal, High phospho batguano, hi nitro bat guano, cotonseed meal,Micro Hume, greensand, Alfalfa Meal, Humax" Mixed with each watering", Phytamin Fish Plus, Nutra Min - Sierra Mountain Minerals and of course super thrive. This is just what I remember of the top of my head :) All the citrus whent from being crap to being what i feel would be award winning for flavor!blood oranges"both" Both Navels,valencias,grapefruit,tangelos,tangerines,limes,lemons and thats just the citrus LOL.
Then of course the orchids where a bit much for mom to take care of so I was gifted them hehehehe and now im doing my best with a bunch that where sick last winter. Its going to be a lot of work repotting to do it right! These orchids are beutiful enough to require new pots and medium rether than trying to go through the sterilisation rigamaroo"if thats how you spell that" Some are top notch andwas given to mom by a person who raised orchids most thier life.Its been a blast finding out exactly what we have in the collection by seeing blooms.
I have been growing the pequins I do believe for about 6 yrs now along with the more common peppers like bells,bannanas, and more common hots. Once my neighbor planted the Pequin things kinda grew from there. All of a sudden we had babby peppers coming up everywhere! We were really tgrying to figure it out. we were all asking each other who did it. Over the years I have seen the culprits red handed,Robins whenever they are arround,Blue jays. mostly when the Piracanthas were ripe! I have seen chickens on the ground eating them as well as the mocking birds. These guys had peppers germinating in my greenhouse,teh garden and especialy in front under the pistacheo trees where all teh birds hang out and eat. I have taken at least 30 plants out of there this spring and given most away to friends and neighbors. So anyone reading this :) who goes through bakersfield CA I can give you Plants that are Potted up and hardened off for transport. I just need a heads up so I can have the plant hardened off properly. If need be and you can give no warning big deal come through and I'llhit you up with a bunch of pepper plants.
I do need to figure out how im going to post images for people to see. I have posted here but dont understand how much storage I have. Or shall I link to another forum I hang out on called Deviantart.com Its a high quality art community where art is what you make it!My art is Photography and growing things in ways that make you step back and wonder! Not just big but truly high quality in many ways from root development,internodal leangth, Bloom-size and number,leaf size in scale and bark quality. Well what can I say..... I love growing things and making them do things " abynormal " :) hhhmmmm maybe even deviant lol what can I say its 4 in the morning, sorry.
I like thier forum because when you join they have 2 gigs storage for your original artwork You cant just store images on thier site it must be stuff you have made. I have just looked at the site and I can make a Group for people who love peppers of all kinds to post photography they do of thier plants....just a thought. Also what would I call it? I think I will start it so I can post the pics and link to them from here. This is someting I wouod love to do because I lovr macro photography with annuals, perenials, insects and mushrooms. I do my best o document the plants in my garden if not daily,every other day.This is done with a "Cannon SD750 digital elph". I am suprised at how well it does when it is zoomed all the way in. There was times I had a deapth of focus as little as .5 inch. I love how fast you get the feedback from the digital aspect but I do pref FILM because I can go back and rescan the image any time. I also have all photos done on glossy paper so the matt finish doesnt makae the scan look like its covered in coton fuzz.

I am not associated with peacfullvalley I just spend a lot of money there. I get nothing at all for mentioning them i do that because evenwith spipping they are cheaper than most or simply have the selection others dont have.
With that this has been long enough. I will post again
Thank you SO MUCH for the pepper seeds guys! I am looking forward to growing and donating seeds to get others started. I will be sending reply packages in a day or so that will have the dry pequuin peppers in them. the seed is in great shape!my current seedlings come from these peppers.
Gordon

Nice proper intro. Looks like you have your hands full and tons of things to grow. I just picked up about 10 orchids myself and going through the trial and error process of getting them to grow correctly.

:welcome:[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]to THP - [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Greetings from Metrolina in North Carolina ! [/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] …..“The taste is followed by a vicious hot spicy bite……" [/background] :flamethrower:[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] [/background] :onfire:

Back