• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Invasion of the .................WHAT THE..........!?!?!

Ok so I have some Hab plants in containers that I am rehabbing from some abuse from..............well me. Got put out too soon and stunted and yellow. I grabbed this container to put in some shade and I fell the container shift.... Thinking I just squeezed too hard until I noticed this...................................
ZachsPlants001-1.jpg

Lol little guy was trying to find some cool soil to hide from this nasty South Carolina heat. So I let my dogs look at him before I put him in a nice shady spot free from my pepper plants. Anybody else have odd intruders in their pepper plants?

Either that is a really small plant or that is a pretty big frog. I see lots or frogs around the house, but the biggest I have seen is about the size or a golf ball.

jacob

That's just funny. All that work to get up into the pot too.
We found them in our yard once a few years ago here in Az. That was during a wicked Monsoon, but we haven't seen them since.

Brer toad is a great guy to have around your place, they are bug eating machines! Great job turning him loose in a safe spot.

Ain't a frog, itz a toad. Nice pic. Funny ya bring up interlopers in pots- took this last night

IMG_5866.jpg

couple doves lurkin' in a jala

LOL, that's funny. We've got lots of toads here and they love to burrow into the pots. They usually make a hole about an inch in diameter. Never seem to hurt the plants though.

If you were living in Northern Aus, you wouldn't be saying they are good to have around! They are an introduced pest, and they are destroying the NATURAL ecosystem as they spread! They are unstoppable!!! Also if you're dog happens to see and think "well that looks pretty fun to play with" you're dog may very die from the "play". They are not good in any way shape or form! "Kill 'm KILL 'M ALL" I say.

If you were living in Northern Aus, you wouldn't be saying they are good to have around! They are an introduced pest, and they are destroying the NATURAL ecosystem as they spread! They are unstoppable!!! Also if you're dog happens to see and think "well that looks pretty fun to play with" you're dog may very die from the "play". They are not good in any way shape or form! "Kill 'm KILL 'M ALL" I say.

Cane Toad? Yes? I agree, kill 'em all! :flamethrower:

I've seen a show or two on the cane toad. Aren't they big and also toxic to most animals? To be honest though......Australia isn't the luckiest country when it comes to creepy crawlies. Funnel-web spider, wandering spider, deathstalker scorpion, Inland Taipan, brown snake, death adder, etc, etc, Bulldog ant or jack jumper as well. Yikes.

I've seen a show or two on the cane toad. Aren't they big and also toxic to most animals? To be honest though......Australia isn't the luckiest country when it comes to creepy crawlies. Funnel-web spider, wandering spider, deathstalker scorpion, Inland Taipan, brown snake, death adder, etc, etc, Bulldog ant or jack jumper as well. Yikes.

The deathstalker scorpion, Leiurus quinquestriatus, is a native of the middle east and the Wandering spider, Phoneutria spp, are in South America--not OZ. They have enough venomous critters already.

The deathstalker scorpion, Leiurus quinquestriatus, is a native of the middle east and the Wandering spider, Phoneutria spp, are in South America--not OZ. They have enough venomous critters already.

Isn't deathstalker more than just one certain scorpion? I thought maybe is was it's own species and australia had one. THe wandering spider.....that one was my bad. Either way, just stating that australia has a high level of deadly creatures everywhere. But i see your other hobbies are arachnids. Mine were snakes. I should stick to what I know.

We're still the lucky country though! see the thing of it is.... We're all hard as nails!!! But on a more serious note. Yes we have a shed load of the worlds most venomous critters over here! Just waiting for the right number to be trained up then we'll unleash them on the rest of the world. MUAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....

:slinksoutofthreadsilently:

I love the story of rabbits in Australia...lifted this quote from the history of rabbits in Au.

"In 1907 the longest anti-rabbit fence was finished. It was constructed by the Western Australian Government and it was 1 833 kilometres long. It was from Starvation Boat Harbour, in the south, and Cape Keraudren. One problem was that by the time that most rabbit-proof fences are finished, rabbits have already crossed into the area that the fence is trying to keep them out."

I learned about this about 35 years ago in college...it seems the real reason the brits brought rabbits to Au was for hunting...as was for the fox...then they realized how fast the buggers multiplied and built the above refferenced fence...what they didn't realize was that rabbits are burroughing animals and just dug under the fence...I always get a kick out of that fence...

I never heard about the rabbit fence AJ I guess they built two giant fences but I did see a documentary on this fence......

"The Dingo Fence or Dog Fence is a pest-exclusion fence that was built in Australia during the 1880s and finished in 1885, to keep dingoes out of the relatively fertile south-east part of the continent (where they had largely been exterminated) and protect the sheep flocks of southern Queensland. It is one of the longest structures in the world and is the world's longest fence. It stretches 5,614 km (3,488 mi)[1] from Jimbour on the Darling Downs near Dalby through thousands of kilometres of arid land ending west of Eyre peninsula on cliffs of the Nullarbor Plain[2] above the Great Australian Bight[3] (131° 40’ E),[4] near Nundroo.[5] It has been partly successful, though dingoes can still be found in parts of the southern states. Although the fence has helped reduce losses of sheep to predators, this has been countered by holes in fences found in the 1990s to which dingo offspring have passed through[2] and due to increased pasture competition from rabbits and kangaroos."

now thats is a BIG fence lol

We're still the lucky country though! see the thing of it is.... We're all hard as nails!!! But on a more serious note. Yes we have a shed load of the worlds most venomous critters over here! Just waiting for the right number to be trained up then we'll unleash them on the rest of the world. MUAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....

:slinksoutofthreadsilently:

Fine with me. I've bred some of the worlds most venomous. I think snakes are some of the most beautiful creatures on the planet. Deadly, but beautiful.

Fine with me. I've bred some of the worlds most venomous. I think snakes are some of the most beautiful creatures on the planet. Deadly, but beautiful.

Agree.
I always had snakes for pets as a kid. Even went rattle snake hunting in eastern Oregon (got 3 or 4) and gave them to the Portland Zoo.
But 50 years later, it was a bit unsettling to find a 181cm king cobra in my wifes home office (2nd bedroom). The reason I know the length is because our village "experts" dispatched (killed) it, much to my dismay. My wife is Buddhist; so we had a ceremony in our yard to ask forgiveness from the snakes relatives for it's death.
Seems to have worked; no more cobras for 5 years.

I bred cobras for awhile. Monocled, Suphan, Indian, Cape, Indonesian Spitting, Red Spitting, Egyptian, Pakistani, and......I think that was it for Cobras. Had some Gaboons, Puff Adders, Rattlers, and such.. Either way....I couldn't kill a snake unless I absolutely had to. Like if it had my wife at knife point or something..........wait.

Back