misc Inversion method for salsa?

Inversion method for salsa?   Assuming you're asking about packing salsa in glass canning jars w/ regular canning lids and rings....

Use the methods described by extension services and use a boiling water bath. 
Here's one link -

Another Link- Ball FreshPreserve

Inversion (Hot Fill/Hold Method) is generally used for sauces in small necked jars with acidity below 4.0.  (see Making Hot Sauce 101 for more details)  Chunky salsas usually get packed in canning jars and are Hot Water Bath processed. 

I've always used the water bath boil method but the owner of a commerical kitchen here said we were doing it "Grandma's" way.  He said instead we should not worry about sterilizing the jars, just pull new jars out of the box fill with 185F salsa, cap and invert for a few minutes.

Gomojoe said:
I've always used the water bath boil method but the owner of a commerical kitchen here said we were doing it "Grandma's" way.  He said instead we should not worry about sterilizing the jars, just pull new jars out of the box fill with 185F salsa, cap and invert for a few minutes.

Tough ground there Gomojoe.  If that product is for sale, and if you're the one paying the insurance policy, etc etc - well in that case I'd like to do things totally by the book.  An extra step to guarantee a sterile environment for your product can only be good for all involved in the long run.  Not knowing the recipe details, the guy with the kitchen could also technically be liable, so it's likely in his own interest as well.  

That being said I grew up eating pickles and relishes canned the exact same way and I'm still standing.  All I'm saying is it can't hurt ya to take the extra steps, but not doing so certainly can.

Pickles and relishes usually have more vinegar than a typical tomato salsa. 

Regarding "Gramma's Method" -vs- what the kitchen guy said-

185F salsa going into cold jars capped and inverted doesn't leave a whole lot of margin for error.  Maybe the Kitchen Guy knows his salsa is at a pH of 4.0 or below.  Dunno~~~  By the time the salsa hits the jar, there's a good chance it's below 180F which is the absolute bare minimum my Process Authority will allow for a sauce that's below 4.0pH.  Maybe if he was starting with a 200F salsa into cold jars.....little bit more safety margin there. 

I doubt a Process Authority would approve that Kitchen Guy's process for a commercial product unless it was a ForSure low pH. 

If you don't know the pH of the salsa (finished equilibrium pH is not just testing the liquid, there's a whole other process for testing chunky things like salsa) I would suggest sticking with Gramma'sa method of HWB. 

If the sauce is for commercial sale, you'll have to get it PA approved so that would answer the question of how to pack it for everyone.  If it's for home use....it's up to you to decide what method is good for you.  Typical salsa ingredients in salsa like green peppers, onion, garlic, and a lot of newer varieties of tomatoes are low acid, meaning they don't have a lot of natural acid like citrus fruits.  There's a high probability the salsa wouldn't have a low enough pH just on it's own.  I wouldn't risk just doing a fill-n-flip, but that's just my opinion.  I'm not a PA or food scientist.  Just sharing my thoughts on the subject. 

Back