• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Is charcoal the new sold out item where you live?

It has been getting harder and harder to source any kind of charcoal here (lump ,briquette), nevermind my preferred brands.

Is anyone else finding it scarce where they live?

I just did an online order from a local store for 5 large bags of royal oak lump , but I won't know for sure if they actually have it or if their own online inventory is screwy until they confirm tommorow.

I have a mixture of few different brands of briquettes and only a half a bag of lump left.

It will be getting dire if I am forced to break into the blue and white bag of Kingsford briquettes , I broke down and bought last week as a last resort option.

The Whole Foods ones are their 365 brand and it says they are made in Austin. I'm sure with some research you could find out who makes them, by who makes charcoal in Austin. It is very good charcoal, all natural briquettes and lump as well for $8.99! (I think it's usually $12.99 but always on sale when I get it.)

NM Austin is the WF address. Anyway it's good stuff.

The Hot Pepper said:
The Whole Foods ones are their 365 brand and it says they are made in Austin. I'm sure with some research you could find out who makes them, by who makes charcoal in Austin. It is very good charcoal, all natural briquettes and lump as well for $8.99! (I think it's usually $12.99 but always on sale when I get it.)

It doesn't really matter where you shop.

Hardware stores, grocery stores, Walmart And Costco all have empty or next to empty shelves.

A charcoal company in Quebec has said that as soon as they ship to different merchants,they are getting inquiries about when they can get more.

It seems like a lot of people have started buying and using charcoal grills through the lockdown .

Not so great for finding charcoal right now but in a year or two I bet there will be lots of great deals on barely used second hand grills and smokers.

I have been watching online stock at a few stores and finally managed to get some today as that order did go through.

I gave one to my brother in law since he was right out an 70 lbs of lump and 30 of briquettes should keep me going for awhile.

Hopefully the shortage will resolve by then .

Labor Day weekend coming up here means no charcoal or corn on the cob.

LOL true I have bags of pecan chunks I have used in wood-only cooks when charcoal was unavail. 

DownRiver said:
Grab a chainsaw and fire up the stick burner. Easy-peazy lol.
I told my wife I was going to buy a cord of wood and build a burn barrel if this keeps up.

Through All the panic "shortages" we haven't stocked up to hoard anything until now.

I tricked myself into feeling it was ok because I generally buy 80 to 100 lbs at a time anyway when I see a good deal.

The Hot Pepper said:
what pound bags are they ?

Ashen said:
I told my wife I was going to buy a cord of wood and build a burn barrel if this keeps up.

Through All the panic "shortages" we haven't stocked up to hoard anything until now.

I tricked myself into feeling it was ok because I generally buy 80 to 100 lbs at a time anyway when I see a good deal.
same here I usually buy 2 - 40lb bags of lump. easily lasts me through the year. 

Home Depot in the US have in their flyer for Labor Day .
kingsford-charcoal-briquettes-4460032107-64_1000.jpg

$19.88

Valid Aug 27 to Sep 7 2020

PtMD989 said:
Charcoal is in good supply here, but canning supplies are scarce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can't find canning supplies here either .... can't even get lids without taking out a second mortgage.  

Back