• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Is Habanero Rojo just a synonym for Red Caribbean?

After looking at my plants, which were labeled "Habanero Rojo", I'm beginning to wonder if they are mislabeled Caribbean Reds, or if Habanero Rojo is just another name for Caribbean Red? I'm a bit suspicious, because I haven't found much information on Rojo. I bought them from Tried and True nurseries in British Columbia. Here's the product description from that company:

http://tried-and-true.com/edibles_variety/peppers-hot-habanero-rojo/attachment/tried-true-habanero-rojo-hot-pepper-2/

I have a feeling that similar questions come up frequently, as there are many habaneros that resemble Caribbean, and I've read in the forums that many Caribbean Reds often end up being some other variety.

Thanks ahead of time for any clarification.

Agreed, especially if you roll the R. ;) Rojo's Spanish for red, so the name is technically identical. I know seed and starts growers who refer to Caribbean red habaneros as red habanero, for short. I know for a fact that the bigger commercial growers will bend the rules with the names a bit, just to make the plant sound more interesting to customers. I really wish they would at least try to stick to common naming conventions.

i have grown both and caribbean red is not  the same as red habanero rojo. canadian tire sells a red habanero that is similar to habanero rojo. burpees mix yellow/red habanero is the same as rojo. i will find out if hortifor(mexican strain) is also the same as rojo.

though caribbean red is a red habanero it is a hybrid and the pods are smoother, without dimples. if it makes you feel any better... caribbean red is owned by monsanto!!

Burning Colon said:
i have grown both and caribbean red is not  the same as red habanero rojo. canadian tire sells a red habanero that is similar to habanero rojo. burpees mix yellow/red habanero is the same as rojo. i will find out if hortifor(mexican strain) is also the same as rojo.

though caribbean red is a red habanero it is a hybrid and the pods are smoother, without dimples. if it makes you feel any better... caribbean red is owned by monsanto!!
I've read in various places that Monsanto only owns the copyright to the name, as opposed to a genetic patent. I don't think Caribbean Red is GMO. I'm pretty sure Monsanto had nothing to do with it's development. I haven't had a chance to verify that, but I'll do some research soon... mainly because I'd be really cheesed to find out that one of my favorite peppers is something I can't/won't grow.

LordTriffid78 said:
I've read in various places that Monsanto only owns the copyright to the name, as opposed to a genetic patent. I don't think Caribbean Red is GMO. I'm pretty sure Monsanto had nothing to do with it's development. I haven't had a chance to verify that, but I'll do some research soon... mainly because I'd be really cheesed to find out that one of my favorite peppers is something I can't/won't grow.
Damn ain't that a bitch. Peppers by nature are one of the easiest plants to genetically manipulate through cross breeding and selecting desired traits from individual pods. Monsanto needs to stick to Bt infused corn and leave peppers alone. :hell:

I don't think Caribbean Red is GMO

you are correct, monsanto purchased seminis, i believe seminis just did the "q tip" swab thing in an effort to make a hybrid pepper. i haven't been able to find specifics on c/r peppers and why they are important. my seed stock came long before monsanto purchased seminis. that  being said, i like my caribbean red pepper. nice sweet, hot flavour.

Back