• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

is it Chilihead of Chilehead?

I've been seeing this each and every way...but which one would be considered to be correct (so to say).

I think Chilihead is a chili eating nut and Chilehead is a hot sauce nut.

toughts?

Chili = the dish you eat
Chile = the pepper / the country

So while that is the offical line I've seen both words used both ways in print. I think both are acceptable.

Further on this subject:

The English names chile or chilli are borrowed from N�huatl (native Mexican), where the plant's name chilli allegedly derived from a root meaning �red�.

There is considerable zeal in the discussion whether the spice should be called chile, chili or chilli in English. The form chilli is probably closest to the N�huatl original, and it is the preferred form among historically minded USians and in Australia. The word chili has come to mean almost exclusively the Tex-Mex-food chili con carne in the USA, but is used for the spice in British English. The variant chilly (also the adverb of chill) has become obsolete; it bears connotations to the British Colonial Era and sometimes appears in brand names of products that go back to the first half of the 20.th century. Lastly, chile is the name of the spice in contemporary Mexican Spanish, and it is also quite popular in the USA. To make things worse, chiles are often referred to as peppers in English, which is of course a never-ending source of culinarily fatal misunderstandings.

Say Whaaaat!OMG! The word chilly is obsolete?! I must be going nuts. Try running around the block in 24" of snow while only wearing your skivies and I think that you'll find that the word chilly still holds a place in the English language.

I look out the window and see slush too. The weather forecaster says -15 celcius this weekend... You lot don't know from chilly!

As for what to call the hot pepper fan, my short answer is:

Chile is a country and Chili is a food. And my style of English being somewhat obsolete vis-a-vis American English anyway, (mostly because I'm Canadian -- which archaically used to mean British), I say Chilihead.

Short of everyone learning to speak Aztec, and because I think everyone pretty much pronounces it the same way verbally, I personally think how one writes it is a matter of choice.

To be a smart aleck and to add even more confusion to the mix, in French, it's Acro de Piment; and guess what... we coined that term. haha

Add that to your pipe and smoke it.

T

Well now... seeing as how I'm an official hot sauce reviewer and I have YOUR sauces up on the line to review... (Tried the 8 pepper the other night on sushi grade red tuna)... I might get upset over that fact. Except that I'm feeling exceptionally generous, having just come back from a month on the beach in the Bahamas.

Here's where I stayed:

archer_cottage.jpg

Here's the back yard:

south_palmetto_point.jpg

:lol:

There. I feel much better now, I'm not upset at all.

T

Back