• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Is it possible this isn't a cross?

These 3 plants were all grown from my own saved Aji Cereza seed. Everything in my garden is open pollinated and the different types of Peppers are all grown close to each other. I'm surprised that I haven't had any crosses yet, but suspect I may have one now.

Take a look at the first picture. Notice that the leaves are completely different from the leaves of the next 2. From what I remember last season, the 2 Aji Cereza's that I grew, had the large leaves like the second 2 pictures.

Is it possible that the first picture isn't a cross, just a natural leaf variation within the Aji Cereza?

If it is a cross, then it is either:

1 - Aji Cereza X Superchile F3 - With F1 Characteristics. Capsicum annuum X Capsicum annuum
2 Aji Cereza X Superchile F3 - Large Pods and hotter than normal Superchile's. Capsicum annuum Capsicum annuum
3 - Aji Cereza X Aji Russian Yellow (Maybe a lemon drop with a cool marketing name) Capsicum annuum X Capsicum baccatum
4 - Aji Cereza X Aji Cristal Capsicum annuum X Capsicum baccatum
5 - Aji Cereza X Bode Amarela Capsicum annuum X Capsicum chinense (This Bode is reported to be a Capsicum chinense - not 100% sure, I think it may be a Capsicum baccatum)

We will find out when it pods.

To make matters clear, all 3 plants are getting the exact same fertilizer dosage.

I'm going to keep this one inside, transplant it into a 5 gallon bucket and grow it under my lights. I would hate for this to turn out to be a long season Pepper and for this summer to be a short season, and for this to not pod in my garden! That would suck! With me controlling the conditions, I'm confident it will pod.

Keep it in a pot but put it outside for the summer if you want to ensure it pods, then bring it inside under the lights to let the pods finish ripening.

The second two definitely have chinense types of leaves, but then, not all chinenses have that leaf shape, so you're right, you won't really know until the plant gets more mature and it starts to pod. Any chance you just mixed some seeds up? Whatever it turns out to be, hope it's tasty!

If Aji Cereza is an Annuum, it's the other two plants that are the odd ones! They are looking very Chinense.

I could be wrong but I don't think there are any Baccatum genes there in any of the plants. The species seems to show a fair bit of dominance when crossed with other species and you should see it come through in the leaves (at least what I have observed in my interspecific Baccatum crosses). Again... I could be wrong! Don't hold me on it... ;)

I don't trust leaves any more at all. I have 2 butch T plants that have annuum looking leaves. In fact my butch T's may not be butch T's dependant on if I got sent the right seeds or not but the first pod does not look annuum. It is just too hard to tell by leaves.

I don't trust leaves any more at all. I have 2 butch T plants that have annuum looking leaves. In fact my butch T's may not be butch T's dependant on if I got sent the right seeds or not but the first pod does not look annuum. It is just too hard to tell by leaves.

I dunno... while I've definitely grown some Chinenses with longer leaves, most still strike me as looking Chinense. Of course, there are still some exceptions... the C. chinense "Limon" for one, as a seedling, struck me as looking like a Frutescens.

In all honesty, I do agree with you that some Chinenses might look Annuum-ish, but in the same hand, I don't recall ever seeing it the other way around though (Annuums looking Chinense-like).

I am careful and do not mix up my seeds. Internet sites report the Cereza as an annuum. Maybe they are wrong and it is really a chinense.

I will be fine getting pods in an indoor grow. I have 4 T-5 bulbs. I will have to find pictures from last year's grow log to verify that the Cereza leaves were large like the last two pics. I only have room for one more plant under my indoor lights. Now I am considering keeping one of the larger leaved plants inside.

Back