• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

preservation Is it safe to change recipes if I am pressure canning the hot sauce?

I have read that changing the amount of peppers in a recipe can possibly result in a sauce that is not safe. Does this still apply if I am pressure canning my hot sauce? I still plan on keeping the final acidity of the hot sauce at 4.0 or less.

If you are pressure canning, changing ingredients is not an issue since pressure canning does not rely on acidity to make
the product safe.

If pressure canning, you don't even need any acidity.
But i want to make sure it is pressure canning in a pressure cooker and NOT a boiling water bath. You said pressure cooking, i am mentioning this so others reading this may recognize there is a difference between pressure canning and boiling water bath.

If you are pressure canning, changing ingredients is not an issue since pressure canning does not rely on acidity to make
the product safe.

If pressure canning, you don't even need any acidity.
But i want to make sure it is pressure canning in a pressure cooker and NOT a boiling water bath. You said pressure cooking, i am mentioning this so others reading this may recognize there is a difference between pressure canning and boiling water bath.

Thank you for helping me. Yes, I will be using a pressure canner and not a water bath. I will still keep the acidity in case that would help the hot sauce last longer once I do open the jar. I'll refrigerate the opened jar but still though it would be good to keep the acidity 4.0 or lower too.

Last edited:
Yes indeed! Good call there. Hot sauce should last pretty much forever unlike a tomato sauce.

You are on the right track being aware of pH after being opened.

Think of a home pressure canned jar of green beans or corn. No acidity. If you open the jar, cook half of it now and toss the remaining half jar in the fridge for later....how many days do you think that jar of beans would last before turning very...very...bad?

A hot sauce with some acidity will last way longer in the fridge after opening.

SL

Back