• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Is it too early to start growing outside? North FL.

Hello everyone, I am in north florida and its still a little chilly here. This will be my second season and I am way more armed with knowledge this time around. This makes me eager to get an early start because last year I started in early June and think I could have tried earlier. It was a kind of spur of the moment idea to start gardening to begin with (girlfriends idea). Funny how after one week she lost interest and I was the one babying all of my plants throughout the season (and logging in to hot pepper all hours of the day and night). I think I am hooked and will grow exclusively peppers this time around. So, Im sure some people have already started, is it too early?

PS: Container growing, preferably starting outdoors, and I have no heating pad.

You only need a heating pad for actual seed germination, and only if you don't have an area warm enough for them to sprout - as soon as the seeds sprout, they can come off the heat. Also, be aware that some heating pads are too hot and need a regulator.

Is it too early? Peppers generally don't like their roots to get below 50F, and young plants are more susceptible to cold than adult plants. You may have a period during which you haul them in and outside, or just try to be patient and keep them inside until it's at least 50F at night consistently.

Sorry I did not really specify exactly what I was planning. I will be starting from the seeds off of my plants last year, and some seeds sent to me from people on the site. I will be trying to sprout them and grow them completely outside because of lack of space inside and a general disapproval from everyone else in the house of having a bunch of pots all over the place. I know the weather will be a little unpredictable for the next few months but was hoping to get going asap because Im going crazy not having something to go check on when Im not sleeping or at work. Still have some plants leftover from last time but aside from my datils they are just twigs Im hoping will come back.

I was originally in Houston but now am in Cleveland, OH. Your weather is similar to Houston's, so I know you will likely have some too-chilly nights to come in February. Look at the monthly forecasts or farmer's almanac, then work backwards from when the night temps will generally stay around 50F. Depending upon the "approval" level of the others in the house, you should (in theory) be able to keep them in starter pellets or other very small containers for a month or two. If you start them Feb. 1, that puts you getting them outside no later than April 1 - you'll probably be fine by then.

If you have a screened porch its ok to start em keep em next to your inside walls, Jacksonville is a little far north to put em out in the wilderness this early you guys get pretty cold compared to us down here by the big lake.

I'm in Central, and it was 80 today. Felt like summer. I sure hope we get at least one freeze to kill off the mosquitos!

I'm in central (Tampa) started all my seeds Dec 30th and should be getting them out in my fabric pots sometime in feb. As Long as your nights are at least 50 and above you should be ok.

Back