• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Is it too late to grow?

So, if the typical cycle (seed-to-harvest) for most peppers lasts between 70-85 days, can I plant seeds now (in containers) and harvest them before it gets too cold outside? I live in central Indiana. Maybe the days will be too short and the nights too cold in late October. :(

If so, I better get on one of ajijoe's SASBE offers! If not, I guess I'll have to wait until next year. :( (or grow in the closet) :)

you could always bring the plants inside when the weather gets cold, and continue growing them inside. As long as they get enough light they will grow.

I would get in on ajijoes offer either way, you cant beat free seads!

Hmmm... True. I can save those seeds until spring, right? If I get in on a few offers I'll have a hell of a mix to work from next year.

Much too late to expect any kind of production, there is about 50 good pepper growing days left, based on past growing seasons/history. You could try overwintering immature plants for earlier/more production next season. Generally pepper seeds can last a few years or more if stored properly, so go ahead and get seeds you want now for next season.

Much too late to expect any kind of production, there is about 50 good pepper growing days left, based on past growing seasons/history. You could try overwintering immature plants for earlier/more production next season. Generally pepper seeds can last a few years or more if stored properly, so go ahead and get seeds you want now for next season.

Great advice. I won't waste my time this year. :( Thank you. Good to see another Hoosier here.

I'm not in Indiana, but growing seasons are the same virtually everywhere that isn't on a pole or equator. Even if you have an Indian summer (something I'm hoping for myself as I'm getting flowers on some Bhut Jolokias now), it's too late to start from seed if you don't have an indoor grow area IF (as Indiana_Jesse pointed out) you plan on seeing fruit.

A simple 5' x 5' indoor area with a pair of these hanging overhead (HTG-Supply-2-Foot-4-Lamp-High-Output-T5), and surrounded with a reflective mylar blanket or white sheets could fit about four or five 7-gallon pots and grow you some beasts anytime of the year.

Yeah... I've got some T5 HO lamps and a CO2 setup that's not in use. I could set up a tent in the garage for the flowering period. But I think I'll focus my efforts on collecting a good variety of seeds for spring.

I hate it when my wife is right. She told me it would be a waste of my time. :(

Yeah, definitely far too late. Keep in mind the 75-80 days to maturity is from transplant too, not from seed, so add another month minimum onto that if you're starting from seed. I wouldn't start any now, even if you try to overwinter you would be looking at trying to keep the plants alive and healthy for about 8 months indoors. Overwintering a well established plant with a big woody stem that has been cut back is easier than trying to grow a young one for 8 months.

Seeds keep for years in the fridge if they're properly dried. Just look at it this way, you're late for this year, but you're really early for next, so you have a ton of time to plan and acquire seeds and get a good start on next year. I start the longer varieties in late December/early January and keep them under a 350 watt T5 until May. I start a month or two earlier than most in our zone, but it really pays off. Mine are already a foot tall when the nurseries open and start selling 4 inch seedlings, and I get a lot sooner harvests and harvest for longer. Plus it really makes the last couple months of winter not so bad. :D The only downside is the electricity bill. I have a lot of seeds drying, so PM me and I can send you some to help get you started if you want.

Back