• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Is it too late to start chilitepins

I had a chilitepin plant, and now I can't find it. Maybe I killed it. I was wondering if it's
too late to start a new plant. We have a pretty long growing season here.
I also have a few wild brazil plants (yellow), are they similar to the chilitepin taste, or
do they taste better? If so, maybe I'll just wait until next year for chilitepin

They do not taste the same at all!
The wild Brazil is much hotter IMO!

And I dont think it is too late if ya start a new one now!
I have been amazed in the past at how well some late starts do!

Kevin

the tepin varieties of peppers are notoriously long season peppers...120-150 days from my experience...I grow wild tepins and get a few the first year but second year plants rock with literally thousands of tiny pods about the size of #4 buckshot...

If you don't mind overwintering your chiltepin...they are supposedly good Bonchi candidates, and that way...

...if it didn't produce many pods later this fall, you'd have a great headstart with it for going into the 2012 growing season. :dance:

dvg

I had a chilitepin plant, and now I can't find it. Maybe I killed it. I was wondering if it's
too late to start a new plant. We have a pretty long growing season here.
I also have a few wild brazil plants (yellow), are they similar to the chilitepin taste, or
do they taste better? If so, maybe I'll just wait until next year for chilitepin

I assume you're talking about cumari...personally I like the taste of cumari more than chiltepin. The taste in not similar at all though, and I do like the taste of chiltepins unlike many here.

You're looking at the possibility of a long germination time with chiltepins, possibly a couple weeks or more, although mine took only slightly longer than most varieties, as well as a really long growing season. This is my first year growing chiltepins but a lot of people don't get them to produce much if any the first year, even with a good start. I wouldn't expect much but it's a worth a shot imo and you can always overwinter it for next year. Or you could order a plant from Cross Country Nurseries or some other nursery that ships. The only problem with CCN is the 12 plant minimum...

Also, I don't know where in Virginia you are, but I did a quick google search and found a nursery in Chantilly, Virginia that sells chiltepin plants.

Thanks for the replies. I think I will go ahead and start a few seeds and plan on overwintering it.
Maybe I'll get a few peppers at the end of the season.

Its really late now, maybe try buying a seedling as Avon suggested. Personally I've never had a problem with germination times, its just that they take a long time for pods to form and ripen. When started early enough you should have no problem getting a great harvest the first year. I actually always recommend only growing a few of these type plants since it can become nearly impossible to pick all the little buggers

This is a first-year tepin and it has plenty of fruit. There is a lot of urban legend about tepins that doesn't stand the test of reality. Like Potawie, I've never had any trouble with tepin germination.

Occasionally, any chile seed gets contentious and takes a long time to germinate, but this is the exception that tests the rule.

tepin5a.jpg

thats a pretty tepin Willard...

I will check to see if I can find a plant locally in the private nurseries. I doubt I will find one, but you never know.
That's a nice chilitepin willard.

Back